turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vent rib sights

Started by Gumby, May 17, 2016, 05:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumby

I posted this in the sights/optics section but wanted to post here as well for more exposure. I have searched the forum and found lots of good info but I was wondering if someone could answer a couple questions for me. I have a 870 youth 20ga and the POA/POI is off. I don't want to drill and tap or add optic. I'm looking at the Williams Slugger sights as well as the Truglo MagPro Gobble Stopper sights. Which of these two sits lower on the rib? I know both are well made. Any big difference between the two? I also love ghost ring sights and Williams offers this. Anyone use the ghost? I would jump all over the HIVIZ TriViz sight but the plastic construction has me shy on it. And then there is the DeadRinger Beard Buster. So many options, LOL. Many thanks in advance for yalls opinions.

BDeal

The dead ringer has almost zero adjustability for elevation and minimal for windage

SinGin

I've used the Truglo with no coplaints. Only draw back is it has a couple of small allen wrenches to adjust and I feel like I need to keep them with the gun some how at all times just incase something comes loose.
As far as the other sights I have no info on them.

Gooserbat

Both are great products and I have limited experience with the Williams and a lot with the truglo.  I personally would opt for the Truglo.  I've got a set on both my guns.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

wvspitndrum

I don't have any experience with the truglo,  but I have the Williams on two guns and love them , newest set are fire sights , oldest ones have been on my gun for 19 years,  never had a problem !

shedhunta

I have the firesight with the ghost ring rear upgrade.  I love it.

WyoHunter

I have used the Williams sights and they worked fine but I had my Beretta drilled and tapped for a scope sight.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Mike Honcho

I have the Tru Glo Magnum gobble Stoppers on every gun I have that doesn't have an optic on it...I really like them and have had zero issues with them.  I check the allen screws for tightness before season each year.

Bill Cooksey

Can't help with sights as I've never tried a set I liked. I would suggest getting the gun adjusted to shoot where you point it whether you eventually go with sights or not. It's easy enough to do yourself with an 870, but most folks are hesitant. Basically, take off the barrel and put the cap back on the magazine tube. Now, figure the direction you need the barrel to move, hold the pistol grip, and whack the magazine tube on the floor or a bench in the appropriate direction. Put the gun back together, shoot to check, and repeat as necessary.

If you are, understandably, uncomfortable with that, a gunsmith can straighten it for a reasonable price. This way, if you are ever on a hunt and have an issue with the sights, you simply remove them and continue to hunt. Also comes in handy should you ever decide to shoot birds with the gun or sell it.

sbbow

I use Tru glo pro magnum gobble dot on my 870. I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumby

Thanks for all the input guys

jblackburn

Williams are great sights and excellent customer service
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

docost99

I put the Truglo with the ghost ring on my Winchester 1300 Ranger and liked it immediately. I had to raise the rear all the way up, though. I put a dab of lok-tite on every screw when I installed it.

Gumby

Received the Williams Universal Slugger sights with the ghost ring rear last night. Installed them and I must say I am very impressed. Thanks again for all the information guys

Gumby