only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tom Laska - Lonefeather

Started by huntforfun1960, May 16, 2016, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highball

Amen Billy,To a great callmaker and a great gentlemen

mgm1955

Very sad news. Over the years I was able to share many correspondences with Tom and have many of his calls. I'd echo what Seth said about a man who was always humble and an extremely talented callmaker. My condolences to his family.

larry9988

Mr. Tom and I shared many email and phone conversations. I really do not remember how it got started but we shared a lot on call making. It came up in conversation one time that I had some good Georgia red cedar, he said he would like to see some of it because he had never seen any good cedar out of Georgia. I mailed him enough to make a few calls. He made several fence post calls out of it and several lids out of the rest. He called me and told me it was some of the best cedar he had ever seen and wanted some more. I told him I found the tree dead down in a swamp. The tree had been crowded as it grew among other trees and had no limbs until 20 feet,thus no knots. I told him how I had cut the tree into 8 foot sections and carried out on my shoulders. He included in the description of the calls he made from the cedar that it came from Misery Swamp in Georgia. He did something unusual and made me a box call from some of it. He wrote out the description as Misery Swamp cedar with a walnut lid from Indiana for my friend in Georgia.He gave it a special touch by making a lid silencer from a worn out pair of his garden gloves. I have never seen that on any other call he made and sold. I loved talking to him and we would talk for an hour or so each time we talked. He also sent me hand drawn patterns to make a fence post call. He was very artistic, a stickler for details, and he had beautiful hand writing. He was a true craftsman and he will be missed. I have only one call of his but that is enough.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Larry9988 that was an awesome story and great tribute.  Thanks for sharing that.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Will

This is sad to hear. I just began following him on eBay hoping he would make a Turpin and post it. They looked like very well made calls and by the comments posted here I was right. Prayers for his family.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I'm bumping this one.  There are some great stories here about a very special and talented call maker.  May he rest in peace. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

billy

Just wanted to let, all know. Tommys graveside funeral will be held Saturday August the 6th. Tom will be laid to rest next to my dad in Great Barrington Massachusettes .Military funeral, as Tom was a United States Airforce veteran. I miss him everyday. So long guys good luck to all of you.