OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What area of Turkey Hunting do you emphasize?

Started by kjcamper, May 15, 2016, 07:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjcamper

I always was interested in what other Turkey hunters pay most attention to in their hunt. I ask other turkey hunters that I talk to in my area how they hunt all the time.  Do you scout a lot and roost birds? Do you pour over topo maps and aerial photos before a hunt? Do you just go and adjust on the fly using your woodsmanship skills that you have honed over many seasons? Last but not least do you go to a property, listen for a gobble, get close and rely on your calling skills? These questions are posed only for properties that you are unfamiliar with or very little history with.

Happy

Scout a good bit local and hunt on the fly in the other state I hunt. Have hunted my other state for several years now so I can usually be within earshot of not uncomfortably close to the roost at daylight.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HFultzjr

I try my calls at home when not hunting. Always trying to get that perfect sound. Then when out in the woods, it's completely different. Drives the family nutz though.......they just don't understand!
:gobble:

Bowguy

The most imortant thing is being where the birds are. Can't kill em where they aren't. Many ways to get there but fairly long distance (unobtrusive) listening will point you in right direction. Roosting the night before never hurts to be on em in am.
Understand something, birds move, get shot, are just quiet somedays. Lots of guys say they have birds located. Don't put all your eggs in same basket. Locate as many as possible, In as many places as possible. You're gonna need it. Both to switch gears when the birds you were gonna hunt aren't cooperating and to rest spots.
I'm a firm believer in giving spots/animals a break. Easier to kill when they don't know what's up

jims

What other turkey hunters pay most attention to in their hunt:  It really depends upon the area I am hunting.  I hunt relatively open country in Nebraska.  It's possible there to observe turkeys from a distance and their reaction to calls, decoys, etc.  I do a lot of glassing, waiting, and listening to help determine what to do in particular situations.  I've been fortunate to hunt an area with a relatively high concentration of turkeys that are visible.  I take full advantage of the open country using my eyes and ears to locate birds.

In Colo where I hunt the turkeys are super quiet.  I hunt areas with lots of ponderosa pines so it's nearly impossible to spot them from long distance.  There are lots of predators in the area so turkeys that make lots of noise usually get eaten.  This makes it super tough because there is so much country with few birds....and they are nearly impossible to locate because they hardly let out a squeak.  I have to pay attention to fresh scratch marks and turkey droppings, tracks, etc.  It can be somewhat frustrating locating quiet turkeys that are like ghosts....so every gobble or hen cluck/purr plus fresh turkey sign is pretty important for pinning down areas with turkeys.

gobblerman87

Hffultz jr I feel you on that bro my wife has grown to hate turkey calls hanks to me now I have to go in the yard or do it at work on my lunch break only way to get better as for the topic on hand I try to know where birds are going to go and if I can't roost the then be ahead of them but everything that you asked is pretty much what all you use because you can do all the scouting in the world if they move then your adjusting on the fly anyways so basically your using all those things you mentioned above and just years of hunting and practice is how we all learn and eventually hopefully become successful in the turkey woods. Good luck to you

GobbleNut

This seems pretty obvious, but the most important ingredient to turkey hunting success is finding birds to hunt before you start hunting.  I don't care how good a caller or woodsman someone is, if they are hunting where there are no birds, they are not going to kill one.  I know that sounds like a real "Duhhh" statement, but it seems that way too many guys think that the woods are full of turkeys everywhere and if they go out and randomly call somewhere and don't get a response, it is because their calling or woods skills suck.  99% of the time, unless someone is an absolute doofus that hasn't got a clue, that is not the case.

With the resources and tools that are available today, anybody can get a turkey call and get on-line and in a short amount of time learn how to call and learn the basics of turkey hunting.  The key to their success from that point is basically one of finding the right place to hunt,...that is, a place that has some gobblers and with little enough hunting pressure such that the turkeys there are actually acting like turkeys are supposed to act.  Sure, there is a learning curve associated with it, but that curve goes up sharply when a guy is hunting in the right place.

The bottom line is, if someone wants to be a successful turkey hunter, they should spend 90% of their time finding places where there are gobblers (preferably with some limited level of hunting pressure) and 10% of their time on everything else. 

Bill Cooksey

I rarely have the opportunity to scout. I love to do it, but family, work and distance tend to combine to prevent it. I'll assume we're talking about an area turkeys are known to inhabit. When considering a new area, I first view it on Google Earth with a close eye on the photo dates. Next thing is a topo map. A combination of experience and those two different views tells me if it lays out as a place I'd enjoy hunting and also where turkeys are likely to be.

While extensive scouting would be preferable, 90+% of the time I'm going in blind (other than maps) on my first hunt. Unless it's a really small area I can actually commit to memory, I'm going in with a marked map/s. I know where I want to start, and I have an idea how I want to cover territory until the turkeys tell me otherwise, and I'm quick to deviate from my tentative plan should the birds I've killed a surprising number of turkeys on that first day.

This is all predicated on the fact I have confidence on my ability to find and call birds if they are there. Practice nowadays is pretty much getting used to a mouth call again a week or so prior to season and making sure my old glass call and favorite striker are where I think they are.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

troutfisher13111

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 16, 2016, 10:30:25 AM
This seems pretty obvious, but the most important ingredient to turkey hunting success is finding birds to hunt before you start hunting.  I don't care how good a caller or woodsman someone is, if they are hunting where there are no birds, they are not going to kill one.  I know that sounds like a real "Duhhh" statement, but it seems that way too many guys think that the woods are full of turkeys everywhere and if they go out and randomly call somewhere and don't get a response, it is because their calling or woods skills suck.  99% of the time, unless someone is an absolute doofus that hasn't got a clue, that is not the case.

With the resources and tools that are available today, anybody can get a turkey call and get on-line and in a short amount of time learn how to call and learn the basics of turkey hunting.  The key to their success from that point is basically one of finding the right place to hunt,...that is, a place that has some gobblers and with little enough hunting pressure such that the turkeys there are actually acting like turkeys are supposed to act.  Sure, there is a learning curve associated with it, but that curve goes up sharply when a guy is hunting in the right place.

The bottom line is, if someone wants to be a successful turkey hunter, they should spend 90% of their time finding places where there are gobblers (preferably with some limited level of hunting pressure) and 10% of their time on everything else.

This is how I feel. With bird numbers way down in NY just sitting at the same old place day after day is not going to give you consistent success unless you have a honey hole. I don't know one spot that always holds a tom, but I have enough spots both private and public that I can search until I find a tom. I hit every one until I find a bird and average miles of walking per dead tom. They are just not around every corner anymore. 

ilbucksndux

Before season I drive around and or walk the log roads and roads along ridge tops and listen. I like to know where several birds are just in case I pull up and there is someone in a spot,or if one gets a little stale I can go to another area where I know there are birds.I like to have plan A-C when I start out in the morning. I have never had a whole lot of luck roosting one in the evening. I do look over maps and aerial photos especially if I'm going in somewhere that I have never been.

I like to get in the woods before daylight to a spot were I can listen. When I hear him on the roost I like to get as close as I can before I sit down. Some times that will bite me in the butt by getting to close ,but more often than not I get to were I can see him fly down and then start calling.

A lot of times I will pull out of one place and go somewhere else mid morning.Usually to one of the other places I have found birds. I have killed just as many at noon as I have 0630 by doing this.

I put very little emphasis on calling. While it is an important part of hunting,I know I'm not a championship caller,but some of the worst calling I have ever heard has came from a live turkey. I believe knowing what calls to make when is much more important.
Gary Bartlow

Farmboy27

Like others have posted, I put the emphasis on scouting. You simply can't call in birds that ain't there!  Next comes woodsmanship. Knowing the lay of the land and how to travel it quietly without giving yourself away while close in on a bird means a ton. I put calling ability way low on the list!  I'm a firm believer that if you're not in the right place at the right time, then a world champion caller won't call in a bird. But on the right day with the right setup, a kid messing with a push button call for the first time might bring the same bird running in. We all love to take pride in our calling but scouting and overall turkey knowledge is what kills birds consistently.

kjcamper

Thanks to all for giving me your thoughts. I always enjoy hearing other fellow hunters methods or approach to turkey hunting. I myself like to learn the lay of the land either before I hunt it or I spend the first day walking and calling and looking. When I hunt a property I never laid eyes on before I look at the County GIS land website for the area I am hunting. I look at DNR topo maps to get a feel for the area. If at all possible I drive past the property and the surrounding area in the morning or evening to see if birds are around. As a few of you stated in your posts you need to hunt where the birds are. In the southern half of Wisconsin there are birds on pretty much every huntable piece of property. They aren't always there on the day you hunt them though so ... plan B, C, etc. I like to think of myself as an accomplished caller but I would never enter a calling contest. I think what ever methods a hunter emphasizes for themselves is exactly that, it works for them. Thanks again for the reply's and good luck to everyone still out there chasing a longbeard.

TRG3

I don't want to bump birds, so if I'm not familiar with a property, I typically don't go there until the first time I hunt it even though I do look it over using topography maps, etc. beforehand. If it's close, I try to study it via binoculars and get one to shock gobble near dusk using a coyote yipper. When I do hunt it, I try to get to a good listening spot and wait for the real owls to get the toms gobbling. Since not all birds don't start gobbling at the same time, I'll wait a few minutes to try to locate all the toms before I start toward one and make my set up. From that point, it's sounding like a hen and gobbling to give the impression that a new hen is in the area and an intruder tom is courting her. I used this technique to take three Illinois gobblers in seven days of hunting this spring.

EZ

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 16, 2016, 10:30:25 AM
   Sure, there is a learning curve associated with it, but that curve goes up sharply when a guy is hunting in the right place.

You said a mouth full right there.  :icon_thumright:

An old turkey killing mentor told me many years ago: "HUNT turkeys where there ARE turkeys !"