OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Had quite a scare this morning

Started by Tennessee Lead, May 07, 2016, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

I was set up in a spot I intended to wait on a bird that had been hot earlier in the morning. I had been calling off and on when I heard a small sound behind me to my right. I turned in time to see a BOBCAT leaping at me. I threw up my arm to block it from getting my face. I was able to swat it away without injuries to myself or the cat other than a tear in my shirt. I was scared to death it was crazy. Shortly after the cat attack I began to call again and dang if I didn't call in a fox. It was a action packed morning.
I ended up calling in 3 different Toms a Bobcat and a fox.

jayjay

Dang, that is crazy....im sure you had no problem staying 'alert' the rest of the day

owlhoot

Some would say that is some pretty good calling.  You get a turkey after all that ?

Greg Massey

gergg

Crazy......Last week my dad had a bobcat come in to his setup and pounced on his hen decoy, tore at it for a few seconds then jumped away, looked at the "hen" on the ground with a broken leg and walked away totally confused.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Happy

Glad you are ok. You need a new pair of pants? I would.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Waynesworld23

Seems like every year this happens the bobcats really don't care for us turkey hunters. I'm glad you ok and got to work some birds so that should make up for the cat wanting to play
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: owlhoot on May 07, 2016, 08:17:37 PM
Some would say that is some pretty good calling.  You get a turkey after all that ?

No I got busted lol
I was surrounded by 3 different gobblers and had one sneak in on me and saw me.

Tail Feathers

That cat needs a hunter safety course.  Don't leap before you KNOW your target.  He obviously leapt at the sound of turkey without clearly identifying it as a hen.
Shame on him! :TooFunny:

Glad it ended as well as it did.  A face full of bobcat can't be fun! :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: gergg on May 07, 2016, 08:22:15 PM
Crazy......Last week my dad had a bobcat come in to his setup and pounced on his hen decoy, tore at it for a few seconds then jumped away, looked at the "hen" on the ground with a broken leg and walked away totally confused.
Lol bet the cat was disappointed

TrackeySauresRex

Crazy! I had a coyote sneek in once. He flanked me on the wrong side from the back. Super close!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

stinkpickle

That is scary.  It's a good thing you saw it coming.  I had one brush my hip while he stalked my decoy.  I jumped...he jumped...but he stopped, and I was able take to a picture.  The brush was too tight to swing my gun.  He was young, and my pants stayed fairly clean...barely...

101st501

You never know what will happen in the turkey woods.  Just this morning I dropped a coyote at eight paces.

supremepredator

Might have to do a little predator hunting/trapping
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

TRG3

While I haven't had a bobcat attack me or my decoys, I did have a coyote do so and in a flash he was out of there! On a couple of occasions while sitting is a deer stand during bow season, I've had an owl almost sink his talons in my face, only to be thwarted at the last second by a quickly raised arm over my face. Obviously, besides stupid hunters in the woods, there's a raft of critters that can confuse us with an easy meal. That being said, in Illinois you cannot carry a firearm or handgun while bow hunting deer. At dusk, when those coyotes start howling knowing that I only have my bow for protection is not a comforting feeling.