turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

***full fan jake***

Started by llauber79, May 07, 2016, 05:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llauber79

Just wondering if anyone in the old gobbler community has come across an Jake like this one. This is the first time I've ever seen it. I was a great more. I went out this morning and set up a blind, chairs, and a couple dsd decoys. I walked back to the truck and gave my fiancé a piggyback ride out to the blind since she is unable to walk thanks to a drunk driver. I called in a couple Jakes and she shot one. when i had her spread the fan for a picture I noticed its full fan. Anybody seen this before?

WildTigerTrout

I killed one like that many years ago. The middle tail feathers were ALMOST the same length. I call them "Super Jakes". I believe they are males that are born very early the prior year and are more mature than most other jakes. Nice bird. Congratulations to your fiance'.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

owlhoot

Congrats on your bird!  Must be an early born super jake and the bird will taste great.

Greg Massey

Great job, nice bird..i saw a nice jake this past week without any kind of a beard...

Dr Juice

Congrats to the fiancé with a unique thunder chicken

SteelerFan

Congrats to her!

Senior Jake / Junior Tom.... Lots-o-fun!  :icon_thumright:

davisd9

If it has a full fan then it is not a jake

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvmntnhick

Killed one like that several years back. Full fan, 4-5 inch beard, no spurs and weighed 11 pounds. It was definitely a jake.

davisd9

Quote from: wvmntnhick on May 08, 2016, 04:25:13 AM
Killed one like that several years back. Full fan, 4-5 inch beard, no spurs and weighed 11 pounds. It was definitely a jake.

Not with full fan, it has molted.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

renegade19

Turkeyman

All adult turkeys go through one complete molt every summer. Year old jakes and hens go through several molts their first year. Spring jakes have longer central tail feathers because they're going into their final molt to become an adult. Those central tail feathers on the bird in the pic appears to be molting it's couple central tail feathers which would indicate it's actually a late hatched bird as opposed to an early hatched bird. So, in other words, the more long centrals a jake has the older he is. Naturally when those centrals are emerging their going to be a bit shorter. That's what it appears to be to me.

davisd9

Quote from: Turkey-Man on May 08, 2016, 07:32:35 AM
All adult turkeys go through one complete molt every summer. Year old jakes and hens go through several molts their first year. Spring jakes have longer central tail feathers because they're going into their final molt to become an adult. Those central tail feathers on the bird in the pic appears to be molting it's couple central tail feathers which would indicate it's actually a late hatched bird as opposed to an early hatched bird. So, in other words, the more long centrals a jake has the older he is. Naturally when those centrals are emerging their going to be a bit shorter. That's what it appears to be to me.

Good information. What would you say about this bird?

wvmntnhick

Quote from: davisd9 on May 08, 2016, 07:17:49 AM

Then it had some serious genetic issues or was bulimic. I just have a difficult time choking down the concept that the bird was anything other than a Jake based on his stats. Not arguing, just saying.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: wvmntnhick on May 25, 2016, 10:29:25 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on May 08, 2016, 07:17:49 AM

Then it had some serious genetic issues or was bulimic. I just have a difficult time choking down the concept that the bird was anything other than a Jake based on his stats. Not arguing, just saying.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Are you certain the fan was full? There have been times that a fan looked full until you looked at it closer and saw that the feathers were not all even. Got a picture of it fanned out?

If it was a complete full fan then you may want to drink some water with it to help get it down.

Sent from the Strut Zone

wvmntnhick

I've got a photo somewhere in an album but no clue where at the moment. I'll look for it when I get home assuming I remember to do so.