turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger m3500

Started by winfila, May 03, 2016, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

who buys a gun and doesn't at least shoot a light load? let alone turkey loads with the choke you plan to hunt????
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

decoykrvr

I agree w/ TauntoHawk 100%.  I never have never hunted w/ any shotgun that I didn't pattern first, be it for upland birds, waterfowl, doves and especially turkeys.  To me it is unthinkable to hunt w/ any firearm without shooting the gun extensively to become totally comfortable and familiar w/ it's function, feel and performance.  You should have realized and noted the shotguns flaws and failures long before taking it afield hunting.  Your additional comment that you wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a turkey at 70 yards confirms to me that you don't know, "What the Hell your Doing" and have no business hunting turkeys.

Horrendo Revolver

Quote from: decoykrvr on May 17, 2016, 01:32:39 PM
I agree w/ TauntoHawk 100%.  I never have never hunted w/ any shotgun that I didn't pattern first, be it for upland birds, waterfowl, doves and especially turkeys.  To me it is unthinkable to hunt w/ any firearm without shooting the gun extensively to become totally comfortable and familiar w/ it's function, feel and performance.  You should have realized and noted the shotguns flaws and failures long before taking it afield hunting.  Your additional comment that you wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a turkey at 70 yards confirms to me that you don't know, "What the Hell your Doing" and have no business hunting turkeys.

You do have a point.
Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council

Farmboy27

While I agree that a turkey gun should be patterned before hunting with it, I know tons of people that don't. In fact, I know more people that have never shot a turkey load into paper than those that have. Most of the old school fellows I know consider it a waste of money. But then they call their birds in close and kill them. I have never patterned an upland or dove load. I buy what's on sale and use it.  As far as the 70 yard comment, yeah that's a bit of a stretch. But not everyone is as experienced as some on this site. If you look at a longbeard xr add, mark and terry drury will tell you they dropped one at 66 yards. Most of us know that is either a load of crap or a luck shot, but if you're newer to the game then maybe not!  Hevi-shot shows pics of the #5s in mag blends reaching out to 70 yards. A lie yes. But a lie that is believed by many who don't have the experience or the direct interaction with those who know better. To say that he doesn't know what he's doing and has know business hunting turkeys is a bit harsh. Let me ask you this, did you know what you where doing at first? 

winfila

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 17, 2016, 05:37:16 PM
While I agree that a turkey gun should be patterned before hunting with it, I know tons of people that don't. In fact, I know more people that have never shot a turkey load into paper than those that have. Most of the old school fellows I know consider it a waste of money. But then they call their birds in close and kill them. I have never patterned an upland or dove load. I buy what's on sale and use it.  As far as the 70 yard comment, yeah that's a bit of a stretch. But not everyone is as experienced as some on this site. If you look at a longbeard xr add, mark and terry drury will tell you they dropped one at 66 yards. Most of us know that is either a load of crap or a luck shot, but if you're newer to the game then maybe not!  Hevi-shot shows pics of the #5s in mag blends reaching out to 70 yards. A lie yes. But a lie that is believed by many who don't have the experience or the direct interaction with those who know better. To say that he doesn't know what he's doing and has know business hunting turkeys is a bit harsh. Let me ask you this, did you know what you where doing at first? 

For you to say that I have no business turkey hunting is you being a DICKHEAD!!!!! I already said that I have never hunted before and having to teach myself how to! As far as my long shots I have a gun that will do it and have 3 to show it! I  joined this so I COULD LEARN TRICKS AND BETTER CALLING TECHNIQUES to make me a better hunter! I am one who will admit when wrong and say I'm as green as you can get! To learn it you have to do it! I  joined this to learn not to hear an arrogant asshole! Really one DICKHEAD move by you two!!!!!!!!! Thought this site was on helping people to become better huntets as well fellowship! ALSO did I say you're a DICKHEAD well let me say it again just in case you missed it DICKHEAD!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie12

Just curious why you would post a thread asking for advice and then some folks provide you an honest opinion from what they have read and you get offended?! Have you received an update from Stoeger yet? Hope you get some good news...I just ordered an M3000 with the steady grip last week.
Stoeger M3000

winfila

I was looking for insight if anyone else havery had any issues with a stoeger m3500 and was just using the distance and accuracy of my cheap gun as a comparison. Was not looking for an a******. I  made it clear that I made a rookie mistake not pattern a new gun, I  assumed that a 200.00 gun was dead on that an 800.00 gun would be just as good if not better. I  have  stated I joined this forum in hopes of meeting new people with lots of experience so I could learn. Only my 2nd year turkey hunting. There's so much I wouldlove to learn and was hoping to hear. The comments on optics to correct the position is helpful, comments on not pattern fine, but to say DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I'M DOING AND HAVE NO BUSINESS TURKEY HUNTING is  being a DICKHEAD! I was looking for help and advice not an ASSHOLE! Comments like that just uncalled for and point blank just pissed me off! Not all of us on here grew up hunting and experienced hunters. I would love to be able to call them in 10 yards and get that awesome experience that I have watched several you tube videos of. But when you don't have that experience and giving 100% trying you take what you get. The 2 birds I missed at 25 and 28 was luck I got that close. I didn't call them in I knew where they rooste and snuck in before daylight. I truly love turkey hunting and people don't understand it if they never tried it. Truly the HARDEST critter I have hunted. Deer has been a breeze and have killed 2 bucks that a lot of people hunt there whole life and never get, that's why I love turkey hunting like I do is the challenge. But back to your comment about getting pissed, like I said looking for helpful people that truly love and have that passion for turkey hunting not an asshole. Helpful comments are welcome not interested in a DICKHEAD ONES! I'm sure if you had a issue going on you would want someone to give you advice to help not say your a DUMBASS and have no business doing it. I was not looking for an asshole debate, was hoping for some folks who really wanted to help people and just be good fellow hunters. Never would I ever reply to anyone like that who's asking for help or advice. I have gotten pissed again thinking about it and just remembered the other question. Contacted stoeger today and they forgot to attach the work order to it so has been there 10 days just sitting there. They didn't know what to do to it or the problem. The guy that I was dealing with dropped the ball. They apologized of course and corrected it. So maybe in a few weeks I may know something. I sent it to them with my exact setup and the ammo brand and size so if they decide to shoot it would be exactly the same for them as did with me. I apologize to you and the others for my rant who was trying to be helpful and respectful. As far as the long shot saying that I would not hesitate on a 70 yard error was basically saying that's how much CONFIDENCE I have in my other gun. Do I want to do that long of a shot NO, but with that gun I can. The pattern of that is just unbelievable, like I have said several people have tried to buy it of its pattern. After hours of research and reading several of comments on this forum I learned every gun is different. As stated rookie mistake, figured a shotgun was a shotgun when shot. Pretty much a handful of pellets coming out and how could you miss??? I learned that the hard way! My mossberg and the winchester longbeard xr's with the true global turkey choke is a perfect match. I have killed only 3 birds and no shot under 40 yards. But again just was looking for good advice from people who truly wanted to help, not an arogant DICKHEAD who just wanting to be an asshole. Just uncalled for, if you can't be respectful don't say anything. What I have read the newer chokes and ammo are designed to reach out there, not like the older guns. I know a guide here that has a guy custom load shells for him and they are 25.00 a piece and he has videos of 80 yard shots.

beakbuster10

You should check out the forum rules. Profane and vulgar language aren't allowed, and the sight owner does not condone shooting turkeys at 40+ yards. Sure accidents happen but you said yourself you haven't killed one under 40. You need to work on your setups and calling.
You went in the woods with a weapon that you in no way familiarized yourself with. Also I can't believe you spent almost a grand on a gun that doesn't start with a B, and I owned a stoeger for a long time that I really liked so I'm not just poking at you.
You and that guide sound like a match made in heaven shooting at turkeys twice the distance most people consider ethical. Heck, why don't you just take a 22-250 and really "reach out there like the new guns and chokes you've been reading about." To each his own but I cannot fathom what anyone gets out of shooting turkeys at rifle ranges. That's not turkey hunting. That's turkey killing and that's why that "guide" touts his holy grail shells. Turkey killing is all he's interested in, the more people killing turkeys with him the more money in his pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ihuntoldschool

Anyone can kill a turkey, if that is all you are interested in.  Most forum members like to help new or inexperienced turkey hunters learn how to hunt turkeys. There is an obvious difference and this is a classic example. Hunting safely, responsibly with respect for the quarry and the sport is part of turkey hunting.

winfila

What will it take for the distance to be dropped? Your kicking a dead horse. I have said it several times I made a rookie mistake and can't change it. On the distance was just making a point about how there's a big difference between the equipment of the past and now. Everyone has opions but you can be respectful with them. Even said my reason for joining was to become a better hunter and not make such long shots. My goal was to become better at it, I would love for those 10 yard shots people brag about. I make a mistake not pattern it that's UNDO ABLE. Can't change it wished I could, also didn't read the rules like most people and again sorry my fault. This is just my opinion, I was just as happy as can be and very grateful for the birds I have taken. I don't like the long shots and have let several go by cause of it.  My first bird long shots and my last was cause last day of season and a bad one due to my own fault not pattern the gun. Like I said over and over which seems that the point not coming across, Want to learn how to be A LOT better with it, that's my goal.

decoykrvr

Wifila,
My reputation on this site and forum is above reproach, and "I don't suffer fools."  You have very successfully illustrated the phrase "Hoisted with One's Own Petard".  Your additional comment that the justification for an excessively long shot, "my last was cause last day of season", further enhances and justifies my prior observations about you.

winfila

Whatever you think and feel not worth the argument, have better things to do. What you think is what you think. I will improve my skill and technique regardless if you or anyone else would rather be helpful instead of just being an a**

WNCTracker

This is probably a good spot to just end this thread  :TrainWreck1:

Start a new one and just ask the question you want answered now that you know the forum's views/rules.  Good luck with the stoeger!