OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Productive Season Thus Far

Started by Garrett Trentham, May 03, 2016, 02:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

Spring 2016, it's been a good one. I haven't been able to hunt as many days as I usually do, but the day's I've gotten out have been productive.

Opening day in Missouri I was able to get a buddy of mine his first turkey. Messed with turkeys all morning, started cat and mousing with a pair mid-morning and got in front of them. Five minutes later we hear them drumming. He's hooked!

You never forget your first.

The next day I hunted some National Forest land near my house where I'd found some birds before the season.

Public land turkey sign, next best thing to finding a live bird.

Punched my first Missouri tag before 7:00am on the second day of the season.

The real results!

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Garrett Trentham

After filling my first tag in MO I made a quick trip to NC to try to punch a couple more.

The first morning in NC was eerily quiet, reports from surrounding areas were not good and the jakes I passed up that morning were coming back to haunt me. I made a deal with myself as I napped, "Next one gets whacked, then I can be picky."

On the afternoon of the second day in NC I had this guy come right in from way across an open field. He went into strut right by my hen decoy and never lived to puff his chest again.

It wasn't until the my last evening in NC that I finally got a chance at a Carolina Longbeard. And son, he did not disappoint!

Three beards totaling 27 ¾"

"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Garrett Trentham

So now I'm back in MO trying to fill my second tag. Passed on a jake the other day, wanting to strike another love sick longbeard in the final hour. Maybe it will happen, maybe not, but it's sure hard to complain either way!

Nothing like prospecting for gobbles in the beautiful Ozark hardwoods.

- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

RutnNStrutn

Good season so far! Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

chatterbox

Way to get it done!
Outstanding season!

Greg Massey

mgm1955

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase