turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HELP WITH A STRATEGY

Started by thug129, May 03, 2016, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thug129

Alright so, I hunt multiple parts of Wisconsin but this weekend I am going to try and fill my turkey tag in northern Wisconsin. The populations are down in the places I have permission to hunt but I do know where there is a small flock of birds on some back roads wooded public land. This flock consists of one big tom and about 4 hens. I am wondering what is the best strategy to hunt this bird. Decoys or no decoys? Aggressive calling, light calling? The birds roost in different places every night so it's hard to hunt him right off the roost but I think I really just need to get him away from these couple of hens he is always with. How would you guys hunt a loner tom in a small flock who rarely or never sees another male turkey throughout the spring?

HFultzjr

Try to locate him in the early morning.
Then hunt him hard late morning after the hens go nesting (hopefully).
He may be lonely and most vulnerable late morning, say after 10:00am.
Good luck.

CMBOSTC

I think that I would try a jake decoy or half strutter with a breeding or submissive hen. I would also try calling in the hens and then I would concentrate on him after the hens broke away.

Farmboy27

Really no way to give you an answer!  Everybody can give their opinions but when it all comes down to it every turkey is different. Heck, every day is different!  All I can advise is try to find the bird and play it by ear. Not much help, I know!  But no one can really tell you how to hunt a bird that they've never dealt with on land that they've hunted.  Best of luck to you! 

jims

As mentioned in an earlier post your odds go up dramatically if his hens leave him to nest in the morning.  If that happens try to entice him with different hen calls.  Hen decoys may work just as good as jake/strutter decoys.  I'd change it up and try a few things until something works.  The last 2 toms I shot this year I used 0 calling and 0 decoys!  Try to think like a tom (and hens) to figure out what may out smart him!