turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

old Ithaca mod 37

Started by twoanthree-quarters, May 02, 2016, 06:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoanthree-quarters

First let me say, I have newer Turkey wackers. But I wanted an older shotgun to play with and see how good lcan make it. To use this season , and make this season a little more fun, for me not the Turkey.
So I picked up a old Ithaca mod 37 12 ga. 2 & 3-4" chamber. The wood on this old girl caught my eye.
Someone put a polly choke on the barrel.
I have done a lot of shooting with it. At Turkey target's
With a number of different shell's.
Any how now Iam thinking of cutting the can off and Haveing it taped for rem chokes, the barrel will end up about 24 & a half ".
I guess my question is will that make my barrel to short.?

decoykrvr

I've got Ithaca 37's w/ a 25" and 23 1/2" barrels, both guns are dedicated 3" turkey guns.  I've chronographed both shotguns against Ithaca 37's w/ 26" and 28" barrels and the calculated loss of fps at 40 yards was inconsequential.  You might consider having the barrel threaded for Winchester/Browning Invector which is more consistant w/ the majority of the King Ferry shotguns.

twoanthree-quarters

Ridge Rooster

Killed my first turkey with an old Ithica 37 Feather weight 2 3/4 chamber with a Remington #4 shot, high on an Eastern Kentucky ridge. Brings back good memories every time I get her out. That was my first gun my Dad ever bought me and it has a permanent location in my safe.

I would say that 24" would be about perfect. Good luck with the old girl. 2 3/4 heavy #7's should be the ticket.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

twoanthree-quarters

I just droped the barrel off to the lgs.for the gun Smith to pick on sat. Hopefully there is enuf steel for him to tap the barrel.
I think so , mines not the feather light.
If he can't.I just seen 3 used Turkey guns, I liked.

fields

My first gun too....  Still have it...  and dont plan on getting rid of it...  I still picture that little jake after 2 shots of #7 high brass..... 

twoanthree-quarters

Thanks for your post.
Its raining  out this AM. guess I will go and look for another
Turkey gun. Instead of hunt.

twoanthree-quarters

Bad news the gun Smith , told me today he measured
My barrel and it's not thick enuf. To tap the
Threads inside. So that idea's out.