turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finished in Illinois!

Started by renegade19, May 01, 2016, 11:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

After helping my buddy fill his 5th season Illinois tag on opening day (we could have maybe doubled up)  I'd had nothing but frustration since.  Worked 5 strutters in a field later that day only to have them hang up and wonder off.  Back there the next morning, had 7 birds of various sizes with three hens.  Was really surprised that one wouldn't break off and come to our setup but they wouldn't budge and eventually wondered off to property that we didn't have permission to hunt.  Rest of that day was a blank.  Saturday was a rainout and rest for these old bones. 

So, with life getting in the way next week, today was pretty much now or never.  Back at the same field, with a strutter and two hens out.  Had three birds glide in from the south and watched three more pitch down on the east (we were on the west edge of the rectangle).  Birds from the south milled around about 125 yards out while the three from the east worked closer.  We sat tight and didn't call as was our plan since we thought they'd be heading west again today.  Lead bird from south was obviously a tom and was interested in the decoys but was only edging slightly closer.  Finally, the three from the east joined up with the three from the south.  Instantly, the south three broke into a run and charged the decoys while the other three began to close the distance.  First three turned out to be two little jakes and what I would have called a "big" jake. I whispered to my buddy "any longbeards in that 2nd group".  He didn't think so and I didn't see any birds with better beards in the last three so I decided to take the "big" jake.  After letting him clear well away from the other two, I dropped him with some LB #6's.  Didn't weigh him, but he had a 6" beard, full fan, and 1/2" spurs.  After reading the jake/tom thread, I decided he was a young two year old.  No pic cause a real prominent Southern Illinois landmark is in the background and I'm stingy!  Good luck to all still filling tags!

mgm1955

tomstopper

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on getting it done!! :icon_thumright:

ilbucksndux

Good job. I took a buddy that is trying to fill a tag this morning too. I have the rest of the week and today may be his last day. It took us till 8:00 to hear the first bird. This is his property and his first year turkey hunting so we ended up hunting the property "backwards" of how I would have if I knew the lay of the land better. Found 2 different ones that were gobbling on their own that did not want to play and we could not get around them as hard as we tried. We finally found one that wanted to play.He came in to 50 yards on the wrong side of the fence(he could have been dead right there) but since we are both a little to honest he let him walk. We worked him back and fourth for an hour and ended up working on another bird we struck by working the first one. When we went away from bird #1 he went crazy so we went back to him and had him VERY close several times but could not get a clear shot due to the under brush. We walked out of the woods at 1:00 with him gobbling his head off still. He was excited cause we had worked him in so close. I walked away knowing he was hooked harder than he was before........

And dont worry about that pic renegade19......... no one knows where that cross is  ;)
Gary Bartlow

renegade19

Might have been a water tower.............. :o
Good luck the rest of the week!  Wishing now I had a 3rd permit!

ilbucksndux

Quote from: renegade19 on May 01, 2016, 09:19:11 PM
Might have been a water tower.............. :o
Good luck the rest of the week!  Wishing now I had a 3rd permit!

:).    I have another tag and I'm going to enjoy myself the next four days and if I kill one it's a bonus.
Gary Bartlow