turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Godson's first bird

Started by Bowguy, April 30, 2016, 10:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

:My kids weren't around today so I called my brother to told him to bring my nephew. Both are new hunters at everything.
Got set up in an area I've hunted before. Over a mile in n I didn't get to roost so I guessed where they'd be n set two dekes.
Come daylight I hooted n got a response close enough. Told my nephew we were in the game.
Started out w some light tree calls from a trough. They seemed only to answer a distant gobbler.
Went for my scratch box trying to change it up n realized my striker was missing.

Wanted them focused on us. Had an Oak Ridge aluminum over aluminum out n did a couple fly downs.
All the birds went nuts n started converging on us. Longbeard just behind us, 2 jakes in set, one bird gobbling hard though not yet visible. We could feel em gobble n actually hear the ground shake they were so close n gobbling so violently.

I made sure both birds were clear n gave the ok to shoot, as my nephew is only 11 w limited time n the longbeard behind us I didn't gamble.
He missed. My brother said he'd only shoot after his son connected. One bird took off, one stayed a second longer.
My godson got his bird

Greg Massey

owlhoot

Alright ! Way to go young fella, great job  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

perrytrails

renegade19

tomstopper

That's awesome. Congrats to that young man and all that were involved.

Bowguy

Thanks guys, he's a very serious young man. Competes in all kind of sports n doesn't seem to get rattled. When I asked him how he missed first shot he said cause he was shaking. I asked if it was cause he was cold? He said no, it was because he was excited. Very cool morning

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

good job....congrats to the young man
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

101st501

I love to see the young hunters.