turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Missing the fly down

Started by John donovan, April 29, 2016, 08:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John donovan

I have an opportunity to get out Tuesday morning but won't get out until after the birds fly down for the day. What will be the best way for me to hunt these birds starting late?
Remington 870 express

Dtrkyman

Access to a good area without exposing your self to birds on the way in!  Sneak in somewhere through the thick stuff, locate call your way in, no response sit a known area with fresh sign.

Cutt

I work nights and if I want to go, most of my hunts never start till 8:30. The only disadvantages is you miss the roost gobbling that at least lets you know their where abouts if they are not talking later. Other than that just go in know areas that hold them and call and listen. I honestly don't mind late starts as I feel most of the best hunting is between 10:00 and noon anyways.

Marc

I have only killed 2 birds on flydown, and most of my birds later...

I walk roads or trails that it will be tough for me to be spotted, and try to get a response...  Toms are with the hens till about 9-10 am, and I want to be in the field the second those hens leave the toms; that is when they are the most vulnerable.

On some of the private property I hunt, birds are not at all concerned about vehicles driving down the dirt roads...  Now when the vehicle stops or slows down, the birds will get anxious.  If I see a bird driving in, I do not stop or slow down, but keep driving till I am safely out of sight and hearing of the bird...

Generally, I glass areas I can see, and walk and call carefully through areas I cannot be seen...  If a bird answers, I decide whether I want to move or set up...  If I move, I do so quickly, and do not call, till I am set up...  I typically do not carry around decoys, and I try to pick a spot where the bird has to come looking for me (wooded area as opposed to open meadow).

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

My binocs are my best tool when hunting later. I glass every turn in the road, every field edge, well before I get there. Have seen so many birds through the glass that I would have probably bumped.  Tips of fans, just their back as they fed in tall grass, a head poked up - stuff like that.  Nephew killed one last year only because he had learned to peak around turns in the road before stepping out-had just called and the bird had not responded.  Saw him fanned before Tom saw him. Sat down and called him in. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Marc on April 30, 2016, 12:44:37 AM
I have only killed 2 birds on flydown, and most of my birds later...

I walk roads or trails that it will be tough for me to be spotted, and try to get a response...  Toms are with the hens till about 9-10 am, and I want to be in the field the second those hens leave the toms; that is when they are the most vulnerable.

On some of the private property I hunt, birds are not at all concerned about vehicles driving down the dirt roads...  Now when the vehicle stops or slows down, the birds will get anxious.  If I see a bird driving in, I do not stop or slow down, but keep driving till I am safely out of sight and hearing of the bird...

Generally, I glass areas I can see, and walk and call carefully through areas I cannot be seen...  If a bird answers, I decide whether I want to move or set up...  If I move, I do so quickly, and do not call, till I am set up...  I typically do not carry around decoys, and I try to pick a spot where the bird has to come looking for me (wooded area as opposed to open meadow).
[/quote
X2
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

yelpy

I wouldn't worry too much about missing the fly down. Just get in the woods. The birds will be there. Just take it slow and careful. Birds usually call to certain area's easier than others. I would try to figure out where they would likely come to the call after the hens leave them.   

Gooserbat

Ive heard lots more turkeys gobble that I didn't kill before 8:00, and more that I did kill gobbled after 9:00.  Just say'n.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

budtripp

This is how I've been hunting this year as I now work nights. I just ease my way in to areas I know hold birds and setup and blind call a little and listen more. Hopefully a bird shows up silent or I hear one start gobbling on his own and go after him. Not my favorite way of doing things but it's that or not hunting at all.

renegade19

I'm guessing it's 60/40 for me killing birds later in the morning as opposed to off the roost.  Only thing I'd add is don't use a turkey call without having a quick setup ready.  My buddy and I got busted by three birds that ran in last year while we were getting situated.  I've had real good luck getting birds to shock gobble at a peacock/woodpecker call.  My go to locator call.