turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VA handicapped hunt a success

Started by barry, April 29, 2016, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

As some of you guys know I am in a wheelchair so the following is very near and dear to my heart. This hunts just gets better every year...please read.

The Bedford Outdoor Sportsman Association Inc. (BOSA) hosted its 3rd annual Gunnin' For Gobblers spring turkey hunt on April 23rd. Seventeen physically challenged hunters from around the state plus one from North Carolina participated. Five nice gobblers were taken with two of them weighing over 21 lbs. Highlight of the hunt was getting a bird for a retired marine who is blind and having another veteran take his first turkey ever. There were several other close encounters but in each case the bird came out the victor.

This hunt is held in memory of Gene Parker who was one of the original founders of BOSA as well as my dear friend and mentor. This hunt is dedicated to providing people with disabilities the opportunity to once again participate in the sport of hunting just as Gene helped me after my accident. BOSA carries on his legacy by hosting this hunt not only for the hunters but also to help educate able-bodied individuals as to how they can assist a disabled friend or family member participate in the sport once again.

This year we had hunters attend from the following VA counties: Bedford, Roanoke, Franklin, Lynchburg, Moneta, Evington, Reston, Craigsville, Henrico, McGaheysville, Covington, Danville, Waynesboro, Stanardsville, Berryville and Fayetteville, NC.

This year's hunt made 10 years that an event like this has been held here in Bedford. This hunt was originally started by a national outdoor organization but BOSA has since taken over and has hosted this event for the last 3 years. We here in Bedford take pride that this hunt has been the most successful of its kind in the state of VA for 7 years running as well as being one of the best in the Nation for a small non affiliated organization such as we are.

Over the 10 year span of this hunt a total of 34 birds have been taken by 17 different hunters. Twelve of these were hunters that took their first turkey ever on this hunt. On top of that, BOSA can now say that we have guided two blind gentleman to a successful hunt, which is quite an achievement in itself.

Oh yeah the old fat man in the chair with the bird in the middle, that's me :)

Greg Massey

What a great story and accomplishment with these guys enjoying the sport of turkey hunting.

wvmntnhick

That's awesome man. Thanks for a good read.

cramerhunts

Very cool! My hat's off to you and all of the people who make this happen. Great job to all.

mgm1955

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tomstopper

Congrats to you and all involved. That is a great thing that the BOSA organization is doing.

Cut N Run

Congratulations on your successful event Barry. Helping those with physical limitations learn the freedom and joy of having the opportunity to hunt wild turkey is commendable.  Everyone involved who gives their time, effort, and experience should be proud of a job well done.  Every one of us could find themselves at a physical disadvantage in a minute's time.  It is difficult to imagine life with minimal restrictions that able-bodied folks take for granted until those freedoms are lost.

I was injured in a vehicle collision 9 years ago, when a drunk driver ran a red light at 70 mph and T-boned my side of the car.  I was in a coma, then a medically induced coma, and had a long recovery.  Even though I regained the use of my limbs, it was a long road back and I'm a long way from 100%.  I'm thankful for any day I get and I'm happy to be on this side of the dirt.  I met some incredible individuals in physical rehabilitation that were facing a lifetime of demanding recovery and limitations.  Their spirit helped motivate me and drives me to this day to live each day to the fullest.  I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and will be paying for it as long as I draw breath.  So many others have it worse than me and if I can help make any of their days brighter, I'd be happy to.

If it is O.K. with this site, I would like to make a contribution toward next year's event.  If it is allowed, please post a contact email address, website, or mailing address and I'd like to add something to the pile.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

WNCTracker

I would like to get some information about this. I'm a PT and would love to learn some tips/tricks that people with disabilities could use. I work in a very rural setting and my patient population could love something like this.

renegade19

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Congrats, looks like a blast. Thanks for sharing.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

spaightlabs

Absolutely fantastic.  Thank you for your hard work and for giving so much back.  Physically challenged individuals who  look at their disability as an inconvenience and who live their lives not being help back by their circumstances are incredibly inspirational.

Thank you for the message.

God bless,

Greg