turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grandson's success in KS

Started by WyoHunter, April 28, 2016, 05:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

This hunt in KS was special to me because my grandson is going to college this fall which will make it difficult for him to get home for our annual spring turkey hunt. If you look closely at his pic you'll notice a scope cut above his eye. This happened when he missed the first shot at a gobbler and then swung for a second shot but didn't have the butt snug against his shoulder. He looked like Jim Shockey with blood running down along his nose. He was shooting my 20 ga. Beretta with Fed HWT 7's. After the bleeding was under control we went to another hunting spot where I called another gobbler. I gave him my 12 ga. Beretta with Hevi-13 7's to seal the deal. The bird strutted into range and he took him at 34 yards. I was very happy for him! After some congrats we took some pics and headed home.
My bird came in silent to two decoys. He was a twin the my grandson's bird - 8 1/2" beard 1" spurs.
I called in 17 jakes this year and didn't see another mature strutting bird except for my grandson's. 
For the past three years I've shot a coyote while hunting turkeys in KS. I saw this coyote as I was moving to another calling spot. Shot at 38 yards he didn't go anywhere. Another turkey killer down and out! 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

spaightlabs

Congrats on a successful trip!

SteelerFan

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

hobbes

Spring Creek Calls

Congratulations and thanks for taking care of the yote.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

jepcho

Congrats!  Sounds like you had a blast!

Greg Massey

Great job with all the turkeys and coyote. Nothing like hunting with your grandson.

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

cramerhunts

WNCTracker

Congrats on a special kill!  As for his scope mishap....I've had the ring of shame myself :-)

tomstopper

Copper1