turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

General Turning Question

Started by Brantley, April 28, 2016, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brantley

Alright, I realize that many people guard their information, and I'm not asking anything specific. Just wondering about the machining technique to bore the inside diameter of the trumpet. Do you all use a drill chuck in the tail stock with a tapered bit? I'm trying to learn to make trumpets and just curious. I turned one and drilled the center out on my press using successively smaller forstner bits but the result is ugly and inefficient. Just curious if y'all might lend some advice. Thanks in advance!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

larry9988

Thanks Blackfalcon for digging up this post. I followed the advice and instructions these guys gave me and  I can now make a trumpet with a straight bore. To the one asking the question, I do not have a tapered reamer. I just drill with three different size drill bits to a set depth to get my internals. It's a step drilled process and works well. It takes a little time to do it this way so be patient. I am sure their is a lot of technology out there that makes this a simpler process, but this method will work with limited equipment.

Brantley

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the help!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.