turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally Struck here in VA

Started by BennieGobbler, April 27, 2016, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennieGobbler

Was lucky enough to get out in the woods before work this am!!  Set up on a bird gobbling in a river bottom below a road that I was on.  Set up the hen decoy in the road and set back in the woods.  My girlfriend was with me and could see down the rd.  Made a few tree calls with the Lonnie Snead Hot Hen and Gobbler Responded immediately.  It was time to shut up and wait as it was overcast and pretty dark.  After about 30 seconds my girlfriend sees a bird strutting up the road to the decoy and in a hurry.  He came within 15 steps and the Beretta with Indian Creek choke and LB's smashed his neck.  After the report of the gun the gobbler in the tree gobbled again with a third bird.  I grabbed the girlfriend and put the gun in her hands and switched seats.  After a few more calls and a flydown cackle the gobblers hit the side of the bank below the road and came into the rd in a strut.  They went back and forth in the road but would not come within 80 yards for over an hr.  They never stopped gobbling and strutting and as they eased into the woods we grabbed the decoy and bird and got out of there because of work!!  Too Bad we didn't have more time.  Great morning as I have called birds into my Father and a friend this year already.  Girlfriend is up next!  I tried to get her to shoot this am but she really wanted me to get a bird first!!  Bird weighed 21 lbs with a 11 1/2" beard.  1 Spur was 1 1/8" and the other was one was 1 1/16".
Print by Madison, on Flickr

SteelerFan

Dr Juice

Greg Massey

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

DADOGG14

Hookinembig

Great job. The birds in VA have been tough this year. Congrats and hopefully your girlfriend will get one soon. Good luck.

tomstopper

mgm1955

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Va3toes

Great job Nice bird! Congrats!

wvmntnhick

RutnNStrutn