OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jake or tom?

Started by JMalin, April 26, 2016, 09:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

My buddy shot one that looked exactly like this bird a couple of weeks ago in SC Kansas...same type beard, same type nubs, full fan.

silvestris

I would sy a 2 year old with the full fan.  He just didn't have good spur genetics and might never have had much longer spurs.  One thing is certain, they ain't gonna get any longer.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Hookinembig

Definitely a tom. The beard length and full fan are what determine between a jake and tom not the spurs. In VA anything with a beard over 6 inches is a gobbler.

THattaway

Full fan and long beard always qualifies as "shooter" for me. I've never passed up that combo and I've killed at least one bird exactly as you have pictured. I've also killed an uneven fanned bird that weighed 17lbs and had a 7" beard. Both are very uncommon in my area, jakes most always 12-15lbs with 2-5" beards or around that.

To give you a different perspective, I killed a great 21lb tom with good spurs a few years back that came strutting in through a shin high muscadine vine covered patch of woods. Said tom had a stubby 2" beard from beard rot. It's more about the hunt for me these days, big or small. Spur length almost always shows up after the deal goes down where I hunt.

What did the coverts on the wings look like?
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Dr Juice

Cleveland48

In Ms that would be classified a tom since it has a full fan I do believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMalin

Quote from: THattaway on April 26, 2016, 03:57:47 PM
Full fan and long beard always qualifies as "shooter" for me. I've never passed up that combo and I've killed at least one bird exactly as you have pictured. I've also killed an uneven fanned bird that weighed 17lbs and had a 7" beard. Both are very uncommon in my area, jakes most always 12-15lbs with 2-5" beards or around that.

To give you a different perspective, I killed a great 21lb tom with good spurs a few years back that came strutting in through a shin high muscadine vine covered patch of woods. Said tom had a stubby 2" beard from beard rot. It's more about the hunt for me these days, big or small. Spur length almost always shows up after the deal goes down where I hunt.

What did the coverts on the wings look like?

They looked like a tom as best as I could tell.  I did some research on other ways to distinguish a jake from a tom and found out the difference in their coverts.  I should have taken a picture of thw wing before disposing of the carcass.  I'm leaning on an early hatch jake that may have gotten all his adult feathers in, but who knows?  And I guess it's all speculative anyway. 

chuckward

I killed one similar years ago and was told by an older fella it was a late hatch 2 year old. Hens nest was busted up and she re nested. Just a little younger than everyone else. Lol  Chuck

DirtNap647

jwright8

I'm going to say Tom. I've seen them with no spurs before.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

hobbes

He's a 2 yr old.  While this is a rio, I've killed several adult Merriam's with no spurs.  He may have been late born but it's likely genetics.

mudhen

Tom...full fan...spurs technically mean nothing, but a molted fan does...

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

trkehunr93

Mature gobbler with short spurs.  Genetic anomaly but can occur.   

TauntoHawk

Ive seen a few "runt" toms before that appear to be from a very late hatch nest causing them to be a little younger and stunted growth compared to other 2yr old class birds. full fans with weak beards and large nubs but no appreciable size to the spurs. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>