OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strategy

Started by Marc, April 25, 2016, 12:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

So I have hunted this bird 5 times.

He has been henned up since opener, and still is... 

First time I hunted him, he switched roosts. And went on his merry way with his hens.
Second time I hunted him, I set up perfectly on him, and I killed a different bird that came in quiet before he did.

The third time, I tried playing the hens...  They talked back aggressively, and the bird was fired up...  He hit the ground and the hens immediately went the other direction with him.

The fourth time, I tried gobbling at him, as well as talking back to the hens...  He was fired up when he flew down and followed the hens away from me...

Today, I set up in the exact spot they have crossed on two different hunts...  Got there very early, walked around from a low spot and listened to the music...  Never took a call out.  That tom sat in the tree and had to have gobbled 200 times.  At least 5 hens came to him, and were cutting, yelping and purring right below him...  Why he stayed in that tree and gobbled till 8:30, I have no idea...  Why they all decided to go the opposite direction this morning, I also have no idea.

I have successfully circled around him twice, and had him close (probably in range), but today, he left the property...

Next Saturday will likely be my last opportunity to hunt...  I am going to set up in the same spot I did today, do a fly-down cackle...  Go immediately into some fighting purrs, and when he walks away, I am going immediately to a different bird...  I cannot pinpoint the other bird, and it requires a long walk through some ugly terrain (which I am unwilling to do in the dark without knowing where he is or how to get to him).

A week is a long time, and so far this season, the hens have been vocal...  If I feel they are on the nest next week, I will probably do the fly down and some seductive calling...  If I hear hens, I will go straight to the fighting purrs...  Get him fired up on the roost before the hens have a chance to steal him from me again.

One of the things I like about this activity is the strategy...  Trying to figure out what to do when I know what I have done has not worked...  I also enjoy that feeling of revenge and satisfaction when the bird is flopping on the ground.

The last couple years, I have had less birds to work with, and it has really made me put more thought into the strategy as well as my calling...  As well as spending more money on calls I do not need.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tail Feathers

Plan for a long day in the woods.  If you can't get him close to flydown time, see which way they go and take a turkey nap, eat breakfast and go back at him in two or three hours.
Those hens should have slipped off to lay eggs by 10am or so. 
That's when you slip into the area and pretend to be that lonely hen.
Good luck!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TauntoHawk

can you get in killing distance of his tree in the dark and get him when his feet touch the ground.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bill Cooksey

Been years since I started a morning already having decided how I was going to call. For me, I've had more success going with how that morning "feels." That said, and from what you've written, I wouldn't call 'til he hits the ground. Engaging hens is a great tactic, and I often work on the hens more than the gobbler, but starting on them too soon generally ends with them moving away. Pizz 'em off once they start to move, and they'll often come to you.

TRG3

I think it's the strategy that makes turkey hunting great! For those who choose to let someone else do all of the calling and they only have to shoot when he comes in, they are missing out on the real thrill of the hunt.  Remember, the tom has to win every time while you only have to win once. I hunted a bird last year that reacted very similar to what you've described. It wasn't until the 5th and last Illinois season (1st week of May) that I was able to get him. On that day, he did his usual thing by going the opposite direction of my gobbling and hen yelps, gobbling until nearly out of hearing. He stayed there for several minutes, gobbling and gobbling. In about 10 minutes, a crow flew over and he shock gobbled to the cawing. He was much closer. In just a couple of minutes, he rushed by me and went face-to-face with my Pretty Boy decoy, taking a load of #6 shot at 20 yards. He had 1 1/2" spurs and a 10+" beard. I can only assume that by that time of the season, hens were on the nest and not responding to his gobbling, leaving him free to check out the intruder gobbler.  Hang in there and you'll get him.

Bill Cooksey

Another time to emphasize the best calling advice I ever received. Learn to call hens. Focus on that as often as possible. Even when hens are alone, learn to call them in. If you learn to do that consistently, gobblers get much easier. And, obviously, it becomes easier to pull those hens who happen to be in the company of a gobbler.

turkeyfeathers

You sir have a great chess match going on. Good luck to you and when you tip him over, bitter sweet victory. I killed a bird a few years ago I had a biatch of time with for years. Something always fouled it up, coyotes right under him at dawn, had to get out of woods by noon and he was coming in on a string, facing the wrong way and couldn't move, you name it. When I killed him he was a beauty , 1.25" hooks and my only double bearded bird. I felt happy and yet a wee bit sad to finally get him. It sounds like you have a good plan in mind.

Farmboy27

It's always good to have a game plan. But I also believe that any given bird can seem impossible on one day and a push over on the next. I try not to over analyze things (although I know I do at times). Just remember that they are animals and as a rule animals don't have schedules or exact routines. And remember that it's only a game and a battle "wits" for us. For the turkey it's just another day of doing what turkeys do.

Marc

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 25, 2016, 04:06:44 PM
And remember that it's only a game and a battle "wits" for us. For the turkey it's just another day of doing what turkeys do.

Very good point...

I picked a profession with problem solving, and tend to enjoy outdoor activities with problem solving as well...  I think that sometimes when turkey hunting I create my own problems (that I then have to try and solve).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Marc on April 25, 2016, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 25, 2016, 04:06:44 PM
And remember that it's only a game and a battle "wits" for us. For the turkey it's just another day of doing what turkeys do.

Very good point...

I picked a profession with problem solving, and tend to enjoy outdoor activities with problem solving as well...  I think that sometimes when turkey hunting I create my own problems (that I then have to try and solve).
Hey, there's nothing wrong with that!  I really feel the world would be a better place if we all thought alittle more! And there sure ain't nothing wrong with going into it with a plan. It just isn't my thing. Best of luck with that bird. There ain't nothing between you and him but a little luck and the right day!