OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sad News

Started by captpete, April 24, 2016, 07:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captpete

An Iowa hunter was killed in a turkey hunter accident yesterday. This happened about 20 miles from me.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Oelwein-man-dies-while-turkey-hunting--376888461.html

wvmntnhick

Muzzle awareness and target identification. All I can say.

maytom

How in the heck can someone shoot another hunter in mistake for a turkey??????? ???

SteelerFan

Quote from: maytom on April 24, 2016, 07:28:39 PM
How in the heck can someone shoot another hunter in mistake for a turkey??????? ???

Tragically, it happens more than we would like to believe. Hunters focused on obtaining their goal, wanting so badly to SEE a turkey - the mind paints the image the eyes want to see.

- People don't look like turkeys
- Especially BEARDED turkeys

TRUE target identification is paramount.

Sad...

On rare occasions, accidents do occur when a real bird is inline (somehow) with another hunter. Often a result of "stalking". And sometimes, accidental discharge - or more correctly, accidental trigger pulls, result in death or injury.

Every turkey hunter out there should be aware of these incidents, to increase awareness.

mgm1955

Very sad! Condolences to his family.

TrackeySauresRex

Prayers sent too all involved.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

tomstopper

Greg Massey

prayers ... so sad...

surehuntsalot

no such thing as a hunting accident, complete stupidity is what it is
NEVER should a human being be mistaken for an animal that you are hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jwright8

Sad to hear. Had this same thing happen in my area last year. The guy shot two guys accidentally and ran. They found him a couple of weeks later. I'm still not convinced it was an accident.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

It's so preventable...

So sad, prayers for those involved.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

cutt down

A friend of mine & I were shot turkey hunting about 15 years ago. Thank God we weren't seriously injured. Not something I wish on anyone. Prayers to the family. So sad!

KYHeadhunter02

Wow! Prayers for the families. Some people should not be allowed to hint nor own a gun. Another thought is with fanning becoming popular since everyone on tv is doing it, I could see more accidents happening.

spaightlabs

prayers for all involved

Marc

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 24, 2016, 07:57:07 PM
Quote from: maytom on April 24, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

Tragically, it happens more than we would like to believe. Hunters focused on obtaining their goal, wanting so badly to SEE a turkey - the mind paints the image the eyes want to see.
My mind has played tricks on me...  Today, for an instant, I turned a cow into a strutting turkey...  Granted, the cow was in no danger (and some distance away), but as I realized what I was actually looking at, and what I thought I had seen for a second, I was taken aback.

I was hunting with a good friend that turned a deer into a turkey...  I was tagged out, and not shooting.  Similar situation to what happened to me this morning.  Bird gobbing as the same direction as a dark blob approaching.  He did not shoot the deer (or come close) but ashamedly told me he had thought that deer was a turkey at first (which really surprised me).

Getting a hard focus on your target before you shoot is paramount to hunting safety...  There is no excuse for pulling the trigger on a person you thought was a turkey.  The person responsible for this accident this morning will have to live with it the rest of his life.

I believe most accidents happen due to not knowing (or caring) what is behind the target, or accidental discharges and poor muzzle control.

Thoughts and prayers to friends and families of both sides of this tragedy....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.