OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

East Kentucky Gobbler

Started by Kylongspur88, April 24, 2016, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Yesterday was the first time I've been able to hunt since season came in
Shot this guy at 4 PM. 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, 23 pounds.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KYHeadhunter02

RutnNStrutn

You're off to a great start!! Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Dr Juice

Nice paintbrush. Congrats.

tomstopper

mgm1955

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Kylongspur88

Now that I've got a second I'll give a quick recounting of the hunt.

I hunted around a reclaimed strip job my buddies had been seeing birds on in the morning. I listened for gobbles but only heard one on the roost a good distance away. The birds are very henned up right now and not vocal.

I decided to run and gun down an old road for the rest of the morning, but after about a mile of hoofing it I failed to strike a bird.

I grabbed a quick lunch and decided to run and gun way up on the mountain. I took my time working up an old gas road and again failed to strike up a bird.

At about 3 I decided to work my way out the same way I came in. I took my time working out but no birds.

As I got to the top of the hill close to where I parked I decided I'd hit the pot call one more time, and as soon as I did I got one to gobble. I knew about where he was so I eased down the hill just a few yards and set up. I gave another call on the pot and got answered by two birds.

After a minute or two I saw two birds working my way. I made a few soft calls on the diaphragm and scratched the leaves a little. The leaf scratching sent them over the edge and they came in on a string. The one I shot was the bigger of the two.

After only getting to hunt two times last year and missing a good bird last year this one was much needed.

Mabren2

Congrats! I love how a long, tough day can turn into a great hunt in just a few short minutes. Glad it worked out for you.

maytom

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

renegade19

owlhoot