OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New to trumpets

Started by Gobbleandgrunt, April 24, 2016, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbleandgrunt

Who makes a high quality trumpet for under 100.00? Not looking for art. I'm looking for a turkey killer.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Gobbleandgrunt on April 24, 2016, 03:19:39 PM
Who makes a high quality trumpet for under 100.00? Not looking for art. I'm looking for a turkey killer.
Pappy,  Brian Mero, AGE, and Motherlode all make trumpets at that price that I can personally say play well.

backwater

I just purchased one from Brian Mero and his work is outstanding.   It was my first trumpet and he took the time to answer a lot of questions. 

mgm1955

Agree with Mero. Also Natural Addiction (savduck). Pappy and Misfire also.

Gobbleandgrunt

Thanks guys. I sent a message to del. How do I get in touch with mero? Thanks again

crow

he is on here as merocustomcalls

mmclain

My hunting no frills calls are 100.00

pappy

to see someone who is willing to take up the art of bird calling using a trumpet call is very reassuring to the call makers who make them. to see someone who is looking for a call under 100 bucks is even better, because you do not have to spend the bank to get a good call ..there are several call makers on here who do that, and I want to say that most of them are great guys and produce great calls. The days of having to spend 300+ for a trumpet are gone...unless you are looking for something in the decorative area with all the golden bells and whistles (which fall under the collectible category ) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that....but for hunting...usable calls....check out these folks on here.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Bowhuntr73

Excellent post pappy!! Your dead on!

mgm1955

Quote from: mmclain on April 24, 2016, 10:55:39 PM
My hunting no frills calls are 100.00
Matt makes awesome trumpets!!

mmclain

gergg

Quote from: pappy on April 25, 2016, 09:59:53 AM
to see someone who is willing to take up the art of bird calling using a trumpet call is very reassuring to the call makers who make them. to see someone who is looking for a call under 100 bucks is even better, because you do not have to spend the bank to get a good call ..there are several call makers on here who do that, and I want to say that most of them are great guys and produce great calls. The days of having to spend 300+ for a trumpet are gone...unless you are looking for something in the decorative area with all the golden bells and whistles (which fall under the collectible category ) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that....but for hunting...usable calls....check out these folks on here.

I will add that the Pappy trumpet I had was excellent, and he is great to deal with.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

hunter22

For the money hard to beat a Crawdad (Robert Glover) trumpet. I have run several and they all sounded turkey.

chefrific

You guys pretty much just named off every maker on my wish list to get a horn from.  Let me forewarn the original poster.  Getting into trumpets is extremely addictive.  There is (in my ignorant opinion) a mystique to using one to call a gobbler in.  I got my first trumpets in the beginning of this year and all three of my Georgia birds fell to one.  Once I learned how to relax with it and run it softer, it turned into a killer. 
My wish list is one from Pappy, Matt McLain, Anthony Ellis, a cane yelper from Mark Sharpe, and a Ralph Permar Delrin .45. and on and on and on.....

They will ruin you!

mwr

Quote from: hunter22 on April 26, 2016, 12:52:41 PM
For the money hard to beat a Crawdad (Robert Glover) trumpet. I have run several and they all sounded turkey.
X2!!