OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dust bowl

Started by mrhays9, April 24, 2016, 11:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhays9

Anyone have any guesses how often turkeys frequent dusting sites. I got a bird that I can't get called in and this is in the area that he usually gobbles head off. Thinking about setting up near dust bowl for an ambush. Just not sure at what point of the day turkeys go for a dust bath

Farmboy27

I'm not really certain but I would say it varies from bird to bird. I've never actually seen a gobbler dusting but I have seen a few hens. Around here I'm not sure that they use the same dusting sights everyday. But I'm sure if you have the patience to wait them out at a known sight you can probably see some turkeys.

Timmer

I have seen hens go to the same dusting bowl every day when it's been dry for days on end.  Come to think of it, I have never seen a tom dusting either.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Bill Cooksey

I've seen several gobblers dust. It seems they aren't seriously devoted to it during breeding season; kind of like eating, they do it, but it isn't a priority. A heavily used site is a good spot to sit when there's no gobbling activity to go to. Hens will go there eventually, and if a gobbler is with them...boom. Also, lonely gobblers will often hang out close knowing hens will eventually show up.

turkey buster

Just like deer hunting..be were the sign is or an area they frequent if you perfer to hunt that style