OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

cleaning mouth calls

Started by DirtNap647, April 24, 2016, 06:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

how do you guys clean your mouth calls I thought about a Listerine rinse but wondered if that would hurt the latex...? or what is your guys methods...? reason I ask is every year when I start using my mouth calls I develop a sore throat and wonder if they aren't linked

SteelerFan

I've done the mouthwash soak and then rinsed under water. Never noticed any negative effects on the material.

Candyman

I soak them in a solution of 50% water 50% alcohol free mouth wash for a minute or so. Rinse well, air dry then back in fridge. Never had issues using this method.

Timmer

soak them overnight in 50% water 50% scope mouthwash
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Go G.W.

If you leave them in listerine very long it will ruin the reeds; rinsing doesn't hurt them. I have never tried cutting it with water so I don't know if that would ruin them or not.
I separate the reeds with a toothpick, soak in peroxide for a few minutes, rinse, and put in freezer. 

mikejd

I soak mine in alcohol free mouthwash for a little while. Then let them air dry. Then I store them in a clear plano tackle box in the refrigerator.

BowBendr

Soak mine in Crest Pro Health alcohol free mouthwash for a few minutes. Rinse under the tap with cold water for a few seconds. Shake the excess water off in the sink and put the calls in a little tuperware bowl, then stick them straight in the freezer. Ive had calls last 5-6 years using this method. Calls stay in the freezer year round. The XT calls I'm running this year are 5 yrs old. Sound like new.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

paboxcall

Quote from: Timmer on April 24, 2016, 08:07:05 AM
soak them overnight in 50% water 50% scope mouthwash

:agreed:

Can't be too cautious with keeping them bacteria free.  I had to cut a week long hunt short by 4 days to come home with a sore throat.  After that I use 50/50 mouth wash and water solution and quick rinse with cold water.  Haven't gotten sick in years.

I also throw the mouth calls away after a few days - $6 is cheap health insurance, lot cheaper than my office visit and drug co-pay.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

troutfisher13111

Quote from: BowBendr on April 24, 2016, 10:54:40 AM
Soak mine in Crest Pro Health alcohol free mouthwash for a few minutes. Rinse under the tap with cold water for a few seconds. Shake the excess water off in the sink and put the calls in a little tuperware bowl, then stick them straight in the freezer. Ive had calls last 5-6 years using this method. Calls stay in the freezer year round. The XT calls I'm running this year are 5 yrs old. Sound like new.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions
Same here except I put in a reed separator before I store them in a fridge.

stinkpickle

I use the Crest Pro Health stuff, too.  I just pour it in the case with the call and shake it, so it cleans the case, too.

Bill Cooksey

I rinse last year's dip off with tap water when I pull the diaphragm wallet out of the closet a week or so before opening day. Honestly don't know why I've never gotten sick from them because they're bound to be little latex petri dishes, but I haven't. Usually get two seasons out of a call depending on how many days I hunt. Wore them out more quickly when I hunted 25+ days. Interesting to note, most are at their best right before they give out.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 25, 2016, 04:44:59 PM
I rinse last year's dip off with tap water when I pull the diaphragm wallet out of the closet a week or so before opening day. Honestly don't know why I've never gotten sick from them because they're bound to be little latex petri dishes, but I haven't. Usually get two seasons out of a call depending on how many days I hunt. Wore them out more quickly when I hunted 25+ days. Interesting to note, most are at their best right before they give out.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Marc

I use dish washing soap (i.e. Dawn).

I rub it on and rinse it off... 

I also break off a plastic fork and use the pieces between the latex...  I put some dish soap on the fork piece to slide it in easier and really clean the latex with running water from the sink...

Never had a soapy taste (although when calling really aggressively I have noticed bubbles floating around near me), and there is no doubt but that the latex lasts longer...  The tape on my calls go bad before the latex does now...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

trkehunr93

Mouthwash is fine.  I always rinse mine before putting them in my vest, nice to have the wintergreen flavor though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

born2hunt

I'll have to see what brand mouth wash it is but I leave mine in a jar soaking in the fridge all year. It doesn't hurt them a bit and keeps them clean and unstuck.  I also carry them in a snuff can with a mouth wash soaked paper towel so there fresh throughout the hunt and dont dry out. If I'm done for a couple days I through them back in the jar. No problems at all.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."