OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The black hills

Started by VA Gobble Addict, April 23, 2016, 11:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA Gobble Addict

Leaving this Thursday to head to South Dakota and Wyoming for my first trip to the black hills. Heard the population decreased a few years back. Has anyone hinted there yet this year? Or last year? Just curious how the numbers look.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

birdman24

Just got back from there today. Filled my South Dakota Black Hills and prairie tags on Friday and Wyoming tag on Saturday. Weather was great although hot in the afternoons. Dropped 40 degrees on Sunday so I was happy to have tagged out early. Numbers remain way down since 2010 but better. Lots of jakes last year so a decent population of 2 year olds this year. Not as much gobbling as past trips but called in every bird that gobbled (7 total) in the two days. I hunt the northern Black Hills. Where are you headed?

Tomfoolery

Just curious. Is there public land to hunt prairie tags on near black hills? Planning on going next year and debating on drawing for the prairie tags also.

VA Gobble Addict

Quote from: birdman24 on April 26, 2016, 01:52:07 AM
Just got back from there today. Filled my South Dakota Black Hills and prairie tags on Friday and Wyoming tag on Saturday. Weather was great although hot in the afternoons. Dropped 40 degrees on Sunday so I was happy to have tagged out early. Numbers remain way down since 2010 but better. Lots of jakes last year so a decent population of 2 year olds this year. Not as much gobbling as past trips but called in every bird that gobbled (7 total) in the two days. I hunt the northern Black Hills. Where are you headed?
Man thank you for actually replying to me. I talked to a CO out there and he said the same thing you did about the population bouncing back and lots of jakes and two year olds. I'll be hunting the northern part as well. I'm staying in spearfish and he said try the higher elevations. Thanks again for the info man.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

birdman24

Quote from: Tomfoolery on April 26, 2016, 08:02:22 AM
Just curious. Is there public land to hunt prairie tags on near black hills? Planning on going next year and debating on drawing for the prairie tags also.

I draw the Lawrence/Butte county tag north of I-90 and although there is a tiny bit of public, I wouldn't bank on it for turkeys. They dropped it to a one bird tag this year because of reduced populations. There may be other units that offer the two bird tag and more public access but I've never looked into that since I'm hunting a friend's ranch.