turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Killed my biggest bird!

Started by KYHeadhunter02, April 22, 2016, 03:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

I hunt a rugged ol hill farm that's really tough to hunt, very few open fields, steep draws and it runs next to an interstate to beat it all. I have hunted it for several years. The birds don't seem to gobble much I believe because of coyotes. If they do gobble its hard to hear over the semis on the interstate. This morning was my third hunt this year. Cloudy and a chance of rain. So I got setup in my blind before daylight. About an hour in I heard a faint gobble. Did some calling with no luck. I had to be back home at 9:30 with my daughter so my wife could go to work. At 8:30 things were slow. It had been raining and finally quit.I made a post on here about using fighting purs to entice birds. I said what the heck and pulled out an old quacker boy push button, put a slate between my knees and went to town for a couple minutes. About 30 minutes later I heard a bird gobble coming down the logging road. He was about 75 yards away and would gobble, feed, and half strut. He seen my decoy and he waited for her to move to him. I held my gun up for several minutes waiting for him to close the distance. He slowly made his way to about 50 yards and gobbled. He started walking off and I knew that was it. I haven't shot my gun past 40 yards so I knew it was a hail mary. I squeezed the trigger and he flopped. I stepped it off at 58 steps. I thought he was 45ish. I couldn't believe it. One spur is an inch and a half, the other is 1 inch and broken. 10 inch beard. I've been wanting to have a bird mounted and I'm thinking hes the one. What a blessing the good Lord have me. :z-guntootsmiley:

nosaj

Congratulations!

Have you decided on a pose?

SteelerFan

Dr Juice

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: nosaj on April 22, 2016, 03:30:56 PM
Congratulations!

Have you decided on a pose?

I'm on the fence on mounting him. I wish his spur wasn't broken. Who knows when or if I'll kill another good one though. If I do a mount I was thinking on the limb or something that will show his spurs good and takes up the least amount of space.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

eddie234

Double B

Followed by buzzards

Jmbradt3873

Nice bird, congratulations

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

KYHeadhunter02

Thank you guys! I've killed several birds, but I'm still on cloud nine!

Mtd69

cramerhunts

Very nice, congratulations on a sweet gobbler.

mikejd

coyote1

Very nice bird. Congrats! The broken spur does add character.