OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Camo shortage/lack of funds-alternatives?

Started by nolimit679, April 03, 2011, 03:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolimit679

hey guys, to put a long story short i had all my camo ready to go in my washroom and the floor drain backed up all over it basicly ruining it for all intensive purposes. I went to our local walmart and not only was i just appalled at the lack of turkey geer, but as well as the camo! the store didnt have a single turkey call, decoy or any camoufloge facemasks or anything. the most i found was a pair of 15.00 camo pants in the regular clothes section and all of the shirts werent long sleeve and didnt match the pants by any means.

what im wanting to know is since i am now broke from having to order everything in online, will my camo pants and an olive green short sleeve T work while scouting? or is it just better to set up in the blind and try to call some in without scouting around first? This is my first time ever not having a full camo dress available for use and am worried i may end up stuck in my blind with no clue as to where the birds actually may be.

DMP

Ol'Mossy

West Augusta

I went to Cabela's, Gander Mountain, and Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and wasn't happy with anything they had either. The stuff the are selling isn't heavy duty enough for where I hunt.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

open door

Quote from: nolimit679 on April 03, 2011, 03:35:21 PM
hey guys, to put a long story short i had all my camo ready to go in my washroom and the floor drain backed up all over it basicly ruining it for all intensive purposes. I went to our local walmart and not only was i just appalled at the lack of turkey geer, but as well as the camo! the store didnt have a single turkey call, decoy or any camoufloge facemasks or anything. the most i found was a pair of 15.00 camo pants in the regular clothes section and all of the shirts werent long sleeve and didnt match the pants by any means.

what im wanting to know is since i am now broke from having to order everything in online, will my camo pants and an olive green short sleeve T work while scouting? or is it just better to set up in the blind and try to call some in without scouting around first? This is my first time ever not having a full camo dress available for use and am worried i may end up stuck in my blind with no clue as to where the birds actually may be.
This is probably stupid, but I've been called worse, lol. Hopefully you use a ground blind and still have that. So, all you need is an "old" long-sleeve shirt, and Wal-Mart will have camo spray paint (green/brown) - paint it lightly. They should have that camo face paint - use on face & hands since you don't have face-mask & gloves.

nolimit679

Ya it really is insane. This town is a little small but we used to have such a good sporting goods section at our walmart here but over about the past 5-6 years it has just been getting worse and worse. the only thing they really stock up for is pheasant season and i HATE hunting pheasant!

even the fishing section has gone down hill, i mean sure the nearest lake even worth going to that isnt a pond is about 70 miles away but i have to drive over there to hunt turkeys anyways since that area isnt a draw area.

this brings me to another question. whilst wrangling my gear i noticed that i no longer have my owl hooter, woodpecker or crow calls. no clue where they're at. Since walmart didnt have anything for calls or anything i had to order my decoys (2 inflatable hens feeding), a slate and 2 striker combo (H.S. i believe, "witch"?) and a MAD Cherry bomb box.  I have never EVER used turkey calls themselves in locating on public land but it looks like this year due to budget restraints and the drive i am going to have to locate using my box/slate. any tips on that?

The area i hunt is a large lake in sw kansas (i wont say exactly where at, too many people there last year) with aprox. 10-15 acres of hunting area sorrounding the lake bordered with private land, some CRP field/streambeds and farmland along with pretty extensive canyons, some of which are in the public area.  most years around this time the stream is flowing and if it is not, it usually will when the rains move in. really just depends on if the farmers want to fullfill there water release agreements or not. some years they let water go from there pumps into the stream system leading into the lake when its insanely dry. basicly what im getting at is the area is sorrounded with different terrains and is somewhat, i must stress somewhat managed (the farmers mainly take care of the area since the state dropped the lake). this is a really wierd area but it does have turkeys. problem is they roam and they roam ALOT, most of the times not on the land around the lake unless they need a drink. if the farmers are pumping into the stream it just makes it that more difficult to get the birds onto the public land since the water is flowing, they have no reason to move.

yep, im rambling. free turkey fan if you can guess what ake area im rambling on about   :turkey2:

lmbhngr

Did I miss the reason why everything got ruined?? What came up out of the drain to ruin it?? Can`t it just be rewashed :-\

nolimit679

black, stinky sewage mess that had soaked into it for roughly 2 hours before i got home. i wouldnt wear anything after its been in something like that, no matter how many times it was washed. YUCK!

as far as my locater calls? your guess is as good as mine. im thinking my ex-wifes son may have nabbed em. really is a shame. i picked those things up when the walmart here still sold turkey gear :/

TurkeyRookie

Go to your local Army surplus store. Ask the guy if they have any sniper netting. You can pull your gun up underneath it and still be covered. Makes it awful hard to see you. Can also get old BDU's there, used ones are like 10 bucks and they are about as heavy as jeans. Wal Mart here had camo burlap for $5 that was 12' by 5' too.
12 ga. Ithaca M37 Featherlight New Model, Briley Super Turkey choke.

shad309

Go to goodwill and get some old brown or green workpants & workshirts for less than $5 then go to wally world and get some spray paint for less than $5 and make your own camo. You can put leaves and sticks on it to make patterns in the paint too.

This works well in touching up faded camo also.

I'm a cheap @$$ but it works  :z-guntootsmiley:

redarrow

Just wear dark clothing and try to sit in the shadows. Lots of turkeys were killed long before civilian camo was ever even heard of. I guarantee you the pilgrims didnt have camo.

northwoodshntr

If your tight on time and money try Bass Pro Shop.com They are carrying a few package deals on calls that can get you started again. The last time I ordered from there it only took a few days to get to the house. Good luck getting back to ready.

cuban

So what do you need and what sizes.  I've got some I can part with if the sizes are close.  You said it needed to be tough, elabotae please.  Some free some cheap!  Times are hard, and I've been there so if I can help you out I'd be happy too.
Proud member of the 10th Legion.

Mike Honcho

Clark State Lake???????  Don't worry...I'm way too far off in the NE corner to come bother you!

mightyjoeyoung

Take that camo outside.  Hose it off.  Then take it to the laundrymat and wash it...a couple times or three.  So it got some black stuff on it...so what?  You get blood and guts and goodness knows what else when you hunt don't you?  If my camo got doused like that you can bet with the money I got into it, I'm gonna be washing it off short of nuclear fall out!  Unless...you're looking for an excues just to get new camo?? :toothy12:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.