OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YOUR turkey book----some tips

Started by quavers59, April 20, 2016, 10:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Morning members----you don't have to be a expert, just a turkey hunting fanatic to write a book. Hope my tips help.
1 Self publish to keep costs down. Any mistakes are on you.
2Combine your journal (WITH) pictures that go with your notes. More memories will flood back!
3 Stay with a short story format and add (some) pictures or drawings.
4 JUST WRITE AS YOU TALK.
5 keep your book at between 80-100 pages.
6Also cover FALL turkey hunting.
7 Find someone at your local Library who can put your manuscript in the proper format on a disc. Pay them a small fee for this.
8 Take that disc to your publisher and have a talk with that person.  I went to a (small house) that printed alot of childrens books.
9 Have your publisher print between 220-250 copies to start. He told me this! AND GET THAT DISC BACK!! You may want to have more printed at a later date or perhaps a loved one will after you pass.
10 Contact MIDWESTTURKEYCALL SUPPLY and start selling your books. Set a fair price. I believe I set mine a bucks too low.
11 Sign and date at least 5 or more and put them in your safe or a ammo can and save them for family members who may want to sell them at a much later date. I only put away 4 copies of one book that sold out.
    GOOD LUCK---Quavers.

mookyj

• Print on demand solutions can work very well depending on what vendor you go with.
  • Many full length story books run 200-250 pages.However word count is more applicable as font size and page formatting also dictate page counts
  • 40K to 70K words is not unusual, MS word can give the count
  • Hire a professional proofreader. You'll never regret the money. $1 a page or more is likely what you'll pay.
  • Hire someone to write your bio,and book descriptions. Unless you can detach from your self perspective or are diagnosed clinically as a narcissist
  • Hire an Editor and a formatter. If you have the skill sets, than you save a ton of $
  • Precanned book publishing packages can be ok, but very expensive
  • Do a website,and market it, you can sell more than a few hundred copies with proper effort
  • Learn to write a press release, it is not hard, simple defined formatting and rules, pay $200-$300 for a service otherwise pay me to do it for a lot less

Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com