Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Best way to use strutting Tom decoy

Started by luked, April 20, 2016, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luked

What are some of your guys opions and ideas on the best way to use a strutting decoy? I have had a Primos B Mobile for quite a few years and due to hunting public grounds I haven't ever used it. But this year got a lot of private this year and want to try it out
Give me some ideas fellas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

gobblerhead

I am sure everyone has a particular preference but here is how I have had success. First I believe they work a lot better in open spaces than in the woods. Second I use a real jake fan in the 3/4 raised position and put out at least two or more hen decoys. A dominant tom wont take to the jake lovin his ladies. Third always position the strutter facing the direction / opening you want him to step into for the shot. They will more than likely give you your best shot at they face the decoy. Good luck. 
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!

KYHeadhunter02

Well I use mine by staking it to the ground.

Lol :toothy9:  just messing with ya.

Breeding hen position or right behind a hen like he is stealing her.

LaLongbeard

?
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

jims

If turkeys are holding up and not coming in to your set up it always helps to have a little movement.  Pressured birds usually don't get too terribly excited about decoys unless they see some sort of movement....whether it's from wind, a string, or possibly a remote control moving the tom decoy around.  Also, calling is just as important as decoys (calling to much, too little, wrong calls, poor calling techniques, etc).  Practice makes perfect.  The more you get out and do it the more you'll learn!

TRG3

Making sure that your decoys can be seen is of the utmost importance; therefore, I seldom set mine up in the woods. Regardless, I set a hen directly on the ground in front of the male decoy, whether it's my Pretty Boy, Funky Chicken, or foam jake to give the impression that there is breeding about to take place and the real gobbler had better step in quickly to put the intruder in his place! To further sell this ruse, I throw in some gobbles, especially after he gobbles. Once he starts my way, I usually just shut up and get ready for the shot.

trkehunr93

I have had no success with my strutter, it's a jake so I use a jake fan and the few times I've used it turkeys have looked at it but not felt the urge to investigate.  I've had better luck with an upright jake and hen, honestly

Cleveland48

I have used a strutter decoy only once. Here is how it went down. We setup early on some birds roosted by a large field. Set the strutter and two hen decoys out. Gobbler flies down in the field with about a dozen hens in plain sight of the decoys, and he did not even pay it any attention. All the sudden they all take off running then flying. We were trying to figure out if the strutter spooked the bird or not?  Then my brother whispered he hears drumming behind us. Then a very big gobbler comes out below us, and runs right up to the strutter and beats the piss out of it before getting shot. I don't know what the deal was with the first bird. Either the strutter decoy spooked him or the bird coming in silent did. But the strutter definetly worked on the second bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kwgoke

I usually put the hen about two steps away from my B-mobile and use the string to give some movement to the fan. Some days they just walk off, but the other times make it worth it! I once watched a gobbler sprint 200 yds, go through a barbed wire fence and jump a creek before having a dose of lead #5s hit him a couple steps from the decoy. I wish I would've had that hunt on video!!!