OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fighting purs

Started by KYHeadhunter02, April 18, 2016, 11:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

The birds seem to be henned up. Anyone use fighting purs to try to bring in birds?

Bowguy

When all else fails it often works

BowBendr

I do. I also use gobbler yelps and cutting. Toms can actually get really pumped up and cutt quite a bit. Combined with the aggressive purrs you can definitely make them break off and come in really ticked off.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Stickbow98

I've killed LOTS of birds using fighting purrs. Always my "Ace-in-the-hole" when everything else fails.
Never forget the first time I tried it. I was calling for a friend who had asked me along to try a kill a big bird that was giving him fits. Threw all my best stuff at him and he put on a helluva show, but stayed just out of gun range.
When I started smokin' my slate and purring on my mouth call as hard as I could my buddy thought I'd lost my mind... but it turned out that 25#, double bearded stud was the one that lost HIS, when a load of #5's went thru his noggin'!!  :OGturkeyhead:
Most of the time if they're responding, they have a hard time resisting it!
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

Cottonmouth

It's worked for me in the past. One of my best birds came in following about 12 hens in the middle of a big bean field after I tried everything in the book. The fighting purr made them look like they were on a chain coming in.

Dr Juice

It has worked for me as well but it one of my last resorts besides gobbling.

quavers59

I got my 2nd- NY TOM last year with fighting purrs!  He was 20 yards away- but behind a boulder. I had to step out and shoot. He moves just 1 step when he saw me.

codym

Sorry to piggy back off your thread, but what scenarios do you guys generally use the fighting purrs? Like when you have a bird hung up? Cold calling? Right after fly down? After you have used every other call with no response? Thanks

Dr Juice

I use the fighting purrs when the thunder chicken is hung up.

TRG3

Thank you for starting this topic. A great deal of my enjoyment in hunting turkeys is in being successful using different strategies. Even though I've successfully hunted turkeys for 25 years, I've never tried fighting purrs since gobbling works so well. I just spent the last couple of hours getting a cram course via YouTube learning the fine points of this method of attracting gobblers. Between my mouth call and slate, I think I can pull it off, especially with a jake hovering over a hen in the breeding position for the visual effect. I'll be trying it Thursday morning which starts my next and last Illinois season for this spring. Again, thanks for bringing up the subject!! (I'm also working on mastering the tube call as well as the wing bone yelper and finding both a challenge.)

KYHeadhunter02

I've never tried it either. Going to hammer them tom. With it hopefully. Cane creek calls has a video of him placing a pot call between his knees and running a striker in each hand. I can't get my left hand going. Lol.

TauntoHawk

I prefer to do them on a mouth call and mix in some box.

I like to use them when they are flocked up a bit, a group of toms are a lot more bold than a single lone gobbler.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

:OGturkeyhead:
Quote from: codym on April 19, 2016, 03:44:17 PM
Sorry to piggy back off your thread, but what scenarios do you guys generally use the fighting purrs? Like when you have a bird hung up? Cold calling? Right after fly down? After you have used every other call with no response? Thanks
I'll use it at last resort, when a bird refuses to budge or is headed away w hens. You'll know pretty immediately if it's gonna work cause it makes me go nuts. You've never seen anything like it. May be my favorite tactic. But don't do it everywhere or all the time, if so it looses its effectiveness.
Worst year was prob about 10% effective, best was a lot higher

jtoliver43

worked well for me this afternoon. I didn't kill a bird but.... I watched a tom refuse our decoys earlier in the afternoon and walk a hundred yards across the field. then 2 other toms came out on the other end with 4 jakes. all the birds refused our calls and decoys. the birds left the field to go to roost as it was getting late. so me and my buddy got on our slates and made the loudest fight noises possible, and we started flapping our hats and breaking limbs etc... every one of those birds came back in the field after deciding to go to roost to see what the commotion was. we even drew a few hens off their nest to come take a peak. They were still wary to commit all the way but it did bring them back in the field. It was almost dark when the birds came back out to see what the fight was about. Im defintly a believer in the fighting purrs now.
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

Dtrkyman

In 20 plus years of calling turkeys it has never once worked for me! But I still try it once in a while!