OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Texas hunting??

Started by Buddy, April 18, 2016, 10:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

I have a trip planned for a two day turkey hunt in Mason, TX on 4-22 and 4-23.  First time in this area and was hoping someone could tell me how the turkey hunting is in or around Mason?  Will Alabama tactics work and do the Rios act differently than Eastern?

Tail Feathers

Mason is a beautiful place. 
Rios generally will tolerate more calling than Easterns.  The terrain is very different.
Lots of cedar brakes and not much in the way of big trees.
Rios tend to be very vocal, and while I've never had much luck with Easterns in the evening, Rios can be taken fairly often in the evening.
You will enjoy the hunt!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

Rios in TX are a great time. Good luck!!

Buddy

Thanks for the replies.  I am hoping to get on a bird there.  It's been tough in South Alabama.  My worst season ever.  Only have heard one bird gobble on 3500 acres.  Nobody is hearing anything and season goes out on 4/30.

Tail Feathers

And let me add that generally, a Rio will walk further to get to you than an Eastern.  They cover a lot of ground and don't mind moving.
Take a camera, Mason is beautiful with all the wildflowers.  I love the Texas Hill Country.

GobbleNut

The problem with hunting Texas is that, unless you have done a lot of research on the place you are hunting, you can be in for a great hunt,...or a total disaster.  Hopefully, yours will be in the former class. 

All properties in Texas are not equal.  If the owners are managing for turkey hunting and know what they are doing, the birds will be there and the hunting can be fantastic.  If the owners are managing turkeys as a consolation prize for deer and exotics hunters, they may not have a clue.

Buddy

I think this property is mainly for deer hunting but they feed year round.  The guys that look after the lease said they had seen some birds lately.  Would this time slot be classified as late season with the hens going to nest?

Tail Feathers

I don't live in that area of Texas but I would think the hens should start sitting nests any time now, leaving you some lonely gobblers.
If they feed year round, I'm betting you will have some birds.

Triple Gobble

Texas Rios are by far the easiest of the birds
I've ever hunted.  Not too say Rios are a for sure thing, but
I've been too Texas 2 years in a row and man they are
Fun.  Between me and a buddy, we have put 5 in the cooler
Only hunting 3 days.  We hunt my buddies deer lease that is small
But there is a drainage on it where there are trees and
That's where they roost.  Even if we didn't know where they
Were at, as soon as the coyotes start howling in morning
They just light up.  By far the most vocal birds I've ever hunted.  It's
Been fun too, I have been able too call really aggresive at them
And they seemed to love it.  Can't do that where I'm from, with the
Easterns.  I've also hunted your state with sucess.  If you can kill
Turkeys where I'm from and in alabama where your at, then
I'd say you stand a good chance.  No guarentees, but I bet you
Have a great time.  Good Luck. :bible:
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

stinkpickle

The last bird I shot in Texas would wing tuck and start walking if I took longer than a 20 second break at calling.  Seriously, I ran the call almost continuously for 30 minutes as he inched his way into gun range.  As long as I was calling, he stayed in strut and worked my way.  When I stopped, he'd turn around.  It was crazy. 

Buddy

I appreciate all the great info.  My buddy is picking me up at the airport in Austin tomorrow and then we are on the way.  Looking forward to it.  I'll let you guys know how it shakes out.

Dr Juice

Good luck. Knock 'em dead ... Extra dead :-)

Tomfoolery

That area is beautiful. Like stated earlier, Texas rios are a blast. If u can find a roost it's not uncommon to hear turkeys gobbling from 100 yrds away to the next county. Really is something listening to 50 plus birds gobbling in the morning. If u don't find em on roost I've had some real fun memorable hunts 1-2pmish with different gobblers racing to see who could get to me first. Nothing beats a texas rio.

JMalin

I'm hunting between Mason and Menard as well this weekend.  Most of the hens should be nesting by now, which should lead to a great weekend of turkey hunting.  If the place you are hunting has water, you'll have birds.  Even better if there's a creek flowing through it or if it has river frontage.  When they are fired up, you can't over call.  When they shut up, do the same for a little bit.  They are probably working towards you slowly/cautiously.  How big the place is that you are hunting should dictate the amount of patience you show to any particular bird. 

Buddy

Again thanks for the replies.  The property has a pond spring fed. All the info I've received makes me more confident.  The guy .I'm hunting with is a first timer so it will be on me to make it happen if we get on birds,