News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Closest Vest to the Bob Dixon Vest

Started by asanti, April 17, 2016, 02:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanti

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 19, 2016, 10:00:46 AM
It's pretty cool to look at the thought put into all the tricked out vests. Having worked on product designs for waterfowl gear for years, I realize the time and effort required. That said, every vest I see today has way more tthan I want. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I want a strap vest with two outside and two inside zippered pockets, a game pouch on back big enough for a water bottle and foam decoy, and NO Seat. I take the seat off as soon as I get a vest. Such a vest wouldn't sell very well, and that's why the sample I wear now was never produced.

Also, I suggest folks remove  the  vest from their shoulders when they sit down. Amazing how much better you can move. 

I definitely like the like weight set up but folllowing a double knee surgery I spend most of my time sitting and setting up now than running and gunning. I am thinkning in my custom vest that i will make my seat be detachable by buckle straps so that if i choose to run and gun it will be that much lighter. I couldn't agree more on the pockets. All i take is a box call a slate call, gloves and facemask, and my owl hoot. This is definitely gonna be  an offseason project.

M Sharpe

It's pretty cool to look at the thought put into all the tricked out vests. Having worked on product designs for waterfowl gear for years, I realize the time and effort required. That said, every vest I see today has way more tthan I want. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I want a strap vest with two outside and two inside zippered pockets, a game pouch on back big enough for a water bottle and foam decoy, and NO Seat. I take the seat off as soon as I get a vest. Such a vest wouldn't sell very well, and that's why the sample I wear now was never produced.

Also, I suggest folks remove  the  vest from their shoulders when they sit down. Amazing how much better you can move.

That sounds pretty much like my "old" bucklick creek vest...without the seat.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

M Sharpe

Quote from: asanti on April 19, 2016, 12:30:41 PM

I definitely like the like weight set up but folllowing a double knee surgery I spend most of my time sitting and setting up now than running and gunning. I am thinkning in my custom vest that i will make my seat be detachable by buckle straps so that if i choose to run and gun it will be that much lighter. I couldn't agree more on the pockets. All i take is a box call a slate call, gloves and facemask, and my owl hoot. This is definitely gonna be  an offseason project.

This may be the one for you..http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-men-s-minimalist-turkey-vest/1727727.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dturkey%252Bvest%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=turkey+vest
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: M Sharpe on April 19, 2016, 12:32:04 PM

Those were pretty close. Mossy Oak/Russell also had one MANY years ago. As time went on companies just kept adding more specialty pockets, but that catches folks attention and sells. I also have an old Natgear vest that is fairly basic. Started having to wear it this year again when my son is with me. He took over my usual vest, but I steal it back when I'm hunting alone.

asanti

I have a bucklick that I really like but it is heavy and falling apart. I plan on purchasing a seat like that and customizign the rest. I found one online that only weighs 1.7lbs for the seat so weight should be a lot less.

jwright8

Cabelas tatr 2 is a great vest. And I agree that Ol Tom is cheaply made.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

M Sharpe

Quote from: asanti on April 19, 2016, 01:39:25 PM

I have a bucklick that I really like but it is heavy and falling apart. I plan on purchasing a seat like that and customizign the rest. I found one online that only weighs 1.7lbs for the seat so weight should be a lot less.

If you think that bucklick creek vest is heavy, wait till you do find one of those Dixon vest. That was the reason I didn't buy one when they came out.

beakbuster10

Quote from: Marc on April 19, 2016, 12:27:07 PM
Quote from: nitro on April 19, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
IMHO, Ol Tom designs are great.. The actual products are cheaply made and they just don't hold up well. Crappy materials and quality.

I was actually all set to purchase an Ol' Tom vest (cannot remember the model) this year...  I put it on, walked around, and the magnetic seat kept coming off (just walking in the store).  I need a small vest, and looking at the game bag, I realized it could not fit a turkey inside it very easily...  Or, I could fit one in, but it would be very uncomfortable to transport a bird this way...

The pockets were well-organized, and the fit was good.  The material was thinner cotton material, and although very light weight (and cool) I have to wonder how it would have held up? 

I am not a fan of the seats either.  I generally remove mine after my initial set-up.  But, I am hunting knee to waste-high grass this year that is soaking wet.  Nice to have a dry seat to sit on until the condensation dries up...  If I am running and gunning I leave the seat off.

Although there are plenty of pockets for my calls in the Tat'r-2, I still wear a diaphragm lanyard around my neck and a box-call holster, and a holster for my GPS...  If I want to gain that last 100-200 yards on a bird, I remove the vest...  I also mark a way-point on the GPS so I can find it if I get confused (which happens more frequently than I would care to admit).  Sometimes that 100 yards ends up being a lot longer and off the beaten path...
OL tom must have run into some quality control issues because the I-beam I've had for four years as well as my hunting partner's are top notch. The magnets are so strong that I have to tug hard to get my cushion down. My other half purchased a tenZing vest (without the kickstands) for me a couple years ago. Love the vest for when it's colder out because it's heavier than the tom but the magnets absolutely suck (much like you described, and I can't stand having to clip and unclip the buckles that hold the seat on).

Britton40

Quote from: M Sharpe on April 19, 2016, 06:08:48 PM
Quote from: asanti on April 19, 2016, 01:39:25 PM

If you think that bucklick creek vest is heavy, wait till you do find one of those Dixon vest. That was the reason I didn't buy one when they came out.

And very HOT

Hankyorke

Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 19, 2016, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: Marc on April 19, 2016, 12:27:07 PM
Quote from: nitro on April 19, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
OL tom must have run into some quality control issues because the I-beam I've had for four years as well as my hunting partner's are top notch. The magnets are so strong that I have to tug hard to get my cushion down. My other half purchased a tenZing vest (without the kickstands) for me a couple years ago. Love the vest for when it's colder out because it's heavier than the tom but the magnets absolutely suck (much like you described, and I can't stand having to clip and unclip the buckles that hold the seat on).

I was thinking the same thing. My Ol Tom vest is great and the magnets are VERY strong. I think mine is 4 maybe 5 years old.

Hankyorke

"OL tom must have run into some quality control issues because the I-beam I've had for four years as well as my hunting partner's are top notch. The magnets are so strong that I have to tug hard to get my cushion down."

I was thinking the same thing. My Ol Tom vest is great and the magnets are VERY strong. I think mine is 4 maybe 5 years old.

J-Shaped

This. I am in the minority with you. I actually own a Dixon vest and love it for what it is, though I use it on a very limited basis these days. It is very well made and designed with a great cushion if that's what you want, but I can't stand carrying a bunch of stuff. I use an Ol Tom Essentials vest most of the time anymore, and many times minus the cushion. If they'd lose the magnets and line the pockets with something unlike the nylon that allows everything to slide out when you make a move, it would be about perfect for my hunting style. I lost a nice custom pot call the first year I wore it due to that design flaw while repositioning on a bird.

Great tip on sliding out of the shoulder straps too. I rarely end up shooting a bird while actually wearing my vest. It usually ends up beside or behind me.

asanti

I'm going to make an attempt to make a custom vest. I appreciate all of yall's tips. This seat is gonna be my base with a claw like stap as the shoulder straps. gonna make a big enough pocket on the back for a decoy and a few items then figure out more for the pockets on the front. If anyone has any recommendations let me know. Here comes "The ultimate turkey vest"