OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closest Vest to the Bob Dixon Vest

Started by asanti, April 17, 2016, 02:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanti

Looking to buy a new vest and really want the bob dixon vest but can't find them anywhere plus they're too expensive. What new vest are closest to it or any other favorites.

Greg Massey

Someone on this forum was talking about replacing the straps on a tac vest with the claw gun sling straps and also someone sales a claw strap like the Bob Dixon vest..also some said they didn't like the vest because the claw straps confined your movement in turning..

grayfox

I don't know of any new ones like it. Another vest close to it is the Limbhanger but it's no longer in production. Keep checking ebay & one might pop up sometime. It's the one in the link below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2726558476/russell-outdoors-mens-limbhanger-turkey-vest-cotton-polyester-blend

asanti

Quote from: grayfox on April 17, 2016, 02:25:28 PM
I don't know of any new ones like it. Another vest close to it is the Limbhanger but it's no longer in production. Keep checking ebay & one might pop up sometime. It's the one in the link below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2726558476/russell-outdoors-mens-limbhanger-turkey-vest-cotton-polyester-blend

Ill check that one out. Russell made my favorite hunting clothes when they still were producing.

If anyone has any suggestions then feel free. I have a an old buck lick vest thats falling apart. Also looking for something thats a bit lighter

Greg Massey

Look at the mossy oak store on line..also asanti...i agree with you on some of the best clothes were Russell

Marc

Quote from: grayfox on April 17, 2016, 02:54:52 PM
asanti, if you have to buy a new vest check out the one below. I've been using it about 4 seasons now. A lot of other hunters like it as well. It's also on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Tactical-Tatr-Turkey-Vest/730722.uts?productVariantId=2046534&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=Shopzilla&WT.z_mc_id1=02902390&rid=20&szredirectid=14609190582550357506310090301008005&gclid=CJHct86rlswCFQVIgQodQ68FrQ&gclsrc=ds
I just bought that vest this year, and could not be more happy.  My issue was getting a vest that fit, as I am short and slender...  Funny, my shirt size is large, and I still had to cinch down the medium/small vest all the way to make it fit.  You turkey hunters are some big, big boys I guess.

It is a bit heavier than I would like, but that padding on the back is very comfortable (which is where the weight comes from).  I have done some long hikes this year, and I really did not notice the weight.  It is also very quiet.

Very well organized and well designed.  Wish it had a magnetic seat and shell loops.  The clip for the seat is easy enough though, and I found a spot where the shells do not rattle around.

I looked around at far more expensive vests, and to me, that Tart'r-2 is a better vest than the more expensive vests I looked at.  If I cannot fit everything I need in that vest, I will need a wheelbarrow anyways.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

asanti

Im gonna check out the tatr. thanks a lot for the recommendations. I'm actually thinking of taking my bucklick creek vest seat and getting a new pocket put on the back in a bottomland camo sewn on then getting the pad off of my old vest and making it magnetic with a fly fishing net magnet to get the best of both worlds. Then getting the claw type straps like was mentioned above and adding the pockets from one of my old vest. Will post pics if I end up doing. Could be a cool set up if I can minimize weight.

beakbuster10

I don't know why Ol Tom vests don't get much love around here. To me there is no better vests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwr

Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 19, 2016, 01:08:12 AM
I don't know why Ol Tom vests don't get much love around here. To me there is no better vests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

maytom

Just googled Bob Dixon vest, mossy oak lists one for $179.99

Cut N Run

Quote from: beakbuster10 on April 19, 2016, 01:08:12 AM

I got one of the I-beam vests that looked great out of the box, but I found that the seat flipped down anytime I'd go through small limbs.  Small branches grabbed at the seat cushion and overpowered the magnet closures for the seat.  I especially bought it because it features two box call pockets and I love my box calls.  I discovered that short boxes fit in the pocket just fine, though there's no way to secure long boxes, which slip out too easily.   The only day I used it, I was ducking under a limb that overhung a mud puddle in the trail and the seat flipped down on its own (for the 6th time that morning) as my long box fell into the puddle.  Aggravated, I took the vest back to the truck and hunted vest-less for the morning.  As soon as I got home, my gear was switched back to my Limbhanger and the I-beam got returned.

There are definitely things I liked about the I-beam, like the flip down mouth call storage and all the pockets it has.  I also liked the spine pad and the fact it was made in Bottomland camo.  For what it costs, that vest shouldn't have the flaws i found.  If it took me less than half of one morning to discover those weaknesses, shouldn't the Ol' Tom folks field tested this and discovered the problems before they went into mass production?

I wish I'd bought a spare Limbhanger or two when they were available.  There's also things I'd change about the Limbhanger if I could.  I hate the mouth call pocket because it almost always creases or wrinkles the tape around the edges of the calls and makes it hard to see what call I'm trying to find in it.  The elastic that holds the snap for the pot call pocket is just stupid.  The elastic has stretched over the years and does not keep the flap as closed as it should.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

nitro

Cabela's Tactical Tater for the win.

IMHO, Ol Tom designs are great.. The actual products are cheaply made and they just don't hold up well. Crappy materials and quality.
Royal Slam 2008

Bill Cooksey

It's pretty cool to look at the thought put into all the tricked out vests. Having worked on product designs for waterfowl gear for years, I realize the time and effort required. That said, every vest I see today has way more tthan I want. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I want a strap vest with two outside and two inside zippered pockets, a game pouch on back big enough for a water bottle and foam decoy, and NO Seat. I take the seat off as soon as I get a vest. Such a vest wouldn't sell very well, and that's why the sample I wear now was never produced.

Also, I suggest folks remove  the  vest from their shoulders when they sit down. Amazing how much better you can move. 

Marc

Quote from: nitro on April 19, 2016, 07:50:34 AM
IMHO, Ol Tom designs are great.. The actual products are cheaply made and they just don't hold up well. Crappy materials and quality.

I was actually all set to purchase an Ol' Tom vest (cannot remember the model) this year...  I put it on, walked around, and the magnetic seat kept coming off (just walking in the store).  I need a small vest, and looking at the game bag, I realized it could not fit a turkey inside it very easily...  Or, I could fit one in, but it would be very uncomfortable to transport a bird this way...

The pockets were well-organized, and the fit was good.  The material was thinner cotton material, and although very light weight (and cool) I have to wonder how it would have held up? 
Quote from: Bill Cooksey on April 19, 2016, 10:00:46 AM
It's pretty cool to look at the thought put into all the tricked out vests. Having worked on product designs for waterfowl gear for years, I realize the time and effort required. That said, every vest I see today has way more tthan I want. Obviously I'm in the minority, but I want a strap vest with two outside and two inside zippered pockets, a game pouch on back big enough for a water bottle and foam decoy, and NO Seat. I take the seat off as soon as I get a vest. Such a vest wouldn't sell very well, and that's why the sample I wear now was never produced.

Also, I suggest folks remove  the  vest from their shoulders when they sit down. Amazing how much better you can move.

I am not a fan of the seats either.  I generally remove mine after my initial set-up.  But, I am hunting knee to waste-high grass this year that is soaking wet.  Nice to have a dry seat to sit on until the condensation dries up...  If I am running and gunning I leave the seat off.

Although there are plenty of pockets for my calls in the Tat'r-2, I still wear a diaphragm lanyard around my neck and a box-call holster, and a holster for my GPS...  If I want to gain that last 100-200 yards on a bird, I remove the vest...  I also mark a way-point on the GPS so I can find it if I get confused (which happens more frequently than I would care to admit).  Sometimes that 100 yards ends up being a lot longer and off the beaten path...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.