OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to do?

Started by Triple Gobble, April 17, 2016, 08:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Gobble

Hunted an old hill gobbler yesterday.  This ol boy would
Come in to just out of range where I couldn't see him, gobble 2 times
Then next time he'd be 100 yards off in the opposite direction.  This
Went on until 12 yesterday.  I even took off in opposite direction
As if I were leaving him and he would do the same thing.  He followed me for
A half mile, then I followed him back.  Actually he had me follow him
All the way back to my truck, as if he was telling me to leave. he actually crossed road right in front of it.  So
I gave up.  Wore out from walking up and down hollers.  Played cat and mouse
More with this guy than I've ever done.  Any suggestions on how to get to him.  I know where
He roosts as I was 75 yards from him to start with yesterday.  He just seems too smart for
This old boy.
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

Cottonmouth

Take somebody with you and have them walk away calling while you stay put. Or give him the silent treatment.  That's the hardest thing for me to do but it has worked for me. Good luck with that old bird. He will be quite a trophy to get.

Old Gobbler

Call in a area where you can travel without being spotted by him , call ....move back....call....move back...call....move FORWARD .......and stay quiet .....

A very old trick , that has worked on paranoid birds like this
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

dejake

If he's on the ground and answers your call, stop calling. He'll come looking for you.

Spurs

Hill Turkey killing recipe:

By: Spurs

Get in a spot where you won't be able to see him until he is in gun range, preferably on the edge of a drop off to a valley.   Once he answers your calls (sometimes a fair amount of cutting and lonely lady yelps) and seems to be within 100-150 yards, restrict it to clucks, purrs, and 3 note yelps.  At this point of the recipe, add in a liberal amount leaf scratching for flavor.  Set you bead on his waddles at 30 yards....bingo

Ingredients:
Whatever call you haven't used yet.

Time to cook:
As long as the sun is up!!!!! (Make sure you are comfy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

mgm1955

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 17, 2016, 11:13:53 AM
Take somebody with you and have them walk away calling while you stay put. Or give him the silent treatment.  That's the hardest thing for me to do but it has worked for me. Good luck with that old bird. He will be quite a trophy to get.
Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 17, 2016, 11:13:53 AM
Great advice!!

surehuntsalot

Quote from: MDTOM84 on April 17, 2016, 09:03:11 AM
Challenge him with gobbles or fighting purrs. Make him think another gobbler has moved in on his area.

X2
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Marc

Quote from: Triple Gobble on April 17, 2016, 08:35:14 AM
Hunted an old hill gobbler yesterday.  This ol boy would
Come in to just out of range where I couldn't see him, gobble 2 times
Then next time he'd be 100 yards off in the opposite direction.  This
Went on until 12 yesterday.  I even took off in opposite direction
As if I were leaving him and he would do the same thing.  He followed me for
A half mile, then I followed him back.  Actually he had me follow him
All the way back to my truck, as if he was telling me to leave. he actually crossed road right in front of it.  So
I gave up.  Wore out from walking up and down hollers.  Played cat and mouse
More with this guy than I've ever done.  Any suggestions on how to get to him.  I know where
He roosts as I was 75 yards from him to start with yesterday.  He just seems too smart for
This old boy.

I posted a similar problem...  Posted up about a couple birds I was having that same issue with, and then had the same issue at a different property with different birds this morning...

I have tried playing "hard to get," "easy to get," and I have tried gobbling...  Tried walking away from them and towards them...  Next time I just might try calling upside down...  I am getting to the point where I am almost willing to climb up a tree and jump down (flapping a wing while mouth-calling a fly-down cackle).

I am beginning to think that I am trying too hard to make something happen, and maybe I just need to "let it happen."  But if you figure it out PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.