turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First time for everything

Started by mrhays9, April 16, 2016, 09:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhays9

Swing and miss. First time I've ever done this. How long before these birds will be workable again?

Dr Juice

They may be wary now but with a little extra TLC, they have the potential to fall victim :-). Good luck.

Rex

Happened to me this morning also. First time I have ever missed.
"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

g8rvet

Most of us have been there.  The best medicine is fried turkey breast - from one you shoot.

Depends.  If he only heard the shot and left, not so bad. If he saw you, a little longer.  I have had them fly across a creek and not come back for 2 weeks.  Other times, they were gobbling 2 days later. Nephew killed one a couple of years ago he had missed about 5 days earlier.  Assume it was the same two cookie cutter 9" 2 year olds. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Farmboy27

2 years ago I called 3 longbeards in for my cousin. He missed. An hour later they were out in a field strutting only 150 yards from where he shot at them. The next morning all three came in together again and he killed one. I hate missing as much as anyone, but when I miss a gobbler clean I know it's not the end of the world and I'll probably get to work that bird again. Now a nice buck on the other hand, if I miss him he's probably out of my life forever.

Marc

I actually think we spook them more bumping them than we do shooting at them...

I did miss one, and he took off running...  But many times, I have shot a bird in a pair or group, and the other birds do not even seem to mind the gun shot...

When I have taken a guest, I always tell them, if they kill a bird in a pair or group, do not move until I shoot as well.

Now, the cursing that generally follows a missed shot might hurt ya'.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.