OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

bird down

Started by harvester, April 03, 2011, 09:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

7/8 spurs, 9.5 beard, 20.55 pounds
Total
pics in kill thread  :icon_thumright:

Started the morning off on the new property I got permission to hunt yesterday. Just breaking light when I heard one cut loose to my left. I waited around for a little bit to see what else would gobble but nothing. So I eased over to edge of the ridge and they were across the holler. I heard some hens also with them. Best I could tell was their were 2 good birds and a jake or two. I started callin to them and they were fired up but wouldn't fly across the creek, which I hoped they would, so I packed up and down the creek aways until I could find a place I could cross. I finally found a shallow spot and eased up the ridge and switched to the 3 reed whistler that Dan gave me earlier. He gobbled about 80 yards in front of me and I eased down next to a spruce tree and done a couple light yelps. He gobbled, I knew he was interested but I didn't want to over do it because He still hadn't flew down yet. I wait a few minutes and done a keekee and he tripled gobbled, first time I have ever heard that, and I just waited. I finally saw him fly down and keekeed again and saw him headed my way. I repositioned myself for the angle he was coming in on and when he got to about 45 yards he paused and I coaxed him on it to about 35 yards with some light yelps, I was waitin on him to clear a little tree. I had the bead on and when he got into the opening he gobbled straight at me and I let him have it. Rolled him, great morning.

t_eagen13

Way to go Dustin!!  :happy0064:

nctrkyhntr

ElkTurkMan

Good Deal Dustin.  Congrats! :happy0064:

unclerick

WTG!!!! that's a good bird Dustin, and you did good with the pics to.

Now go out and get anothern....
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: unclerick on April 03, 2011, 08:55:47 PM
WTG!!!! that's a good bird Dustin, and you did good with the pics to.

Now go out and get anothern....

Probably going in the morning.  :icon_thumright:

mfd1027

This is the first time i could log on today.   WTG!!  Dustin.   That's awesome.    Sounds like you had a heck of a morning.   Glad the ol Whistler worked out for you.   
Dan

keyser12ga

Dustin, That is awesome, congrats.  I like the story too.  Way to go.

gob09

Ricochet

Nice - congrats!   :z-guntootsmiley:
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...