OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Va Gobbler 04-15-2016

Started by mossybird, April 15, 2016, 03:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossybird

Went to a small farm this morning that I hadn't hunted yet this year in hopes to at least hear one. Went to the top of the mountain and heard 7 different turkeys. Set up on the one closest to me and got the decoy on the spot I thought he would come. Gave 4 light yelps and did a fly down with my hat. Sit there for a bit and gave some more light yelps and he answered me. About 10 minutes went by and he gobbled on his own twice. Gave a few light yelps once again and shut up. About 5 minutes went by and I saw him coming up over the hill. He walked a few steps and double gobbled. At this point he was about 45 yards. I had my gun facing the wrong direction so I had to wait until he went behind a tree to swing around. He strutted on in to about 35 yards and he went behind a big red oak and I swung up and waited for him to come out the other side. He finally came out and the long beards did their job. 8 inch beard because he did have beard rot. 1 1/8 inch Spurs on both sides 21 pounds. Great turkey and a awesome day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

GOOSESLAYER

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SS Calls

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hookinembig

Congrats on the bird. Where in VA do you hunt? Most birds around central VA seem to be quiet once they hit the ground this year.

mossybird

Quote from: Hookinembig on April 15, 2016, 05:47:27 PM
Congrats on the bird. Where in VA do you hunt? Most birds around central VA seem to be quiet once they hit the ground this year.
I hunt in the Rapidan/Orange/Culpeper area and as far as gobbling goes they've been less talkative. This nice weather this week is getting them vocal. Good luck to you ????

cramerhunts

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

renegade19

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jordanz7935

Very nice gobbler!  :icon_thumright: congrats