OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

SBE 2 & Roberts- Final Strut .650 choke....one DEADLY combo!!!!

Started by BINK McCARTY, April 14, 2016, 11:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BINK McCARTY

This is my Benelli SBE 2 with a Rob Roberts Final Strut .650 choke tube shooting H-13/ 3.5"/ 2.25oz./#7 shot. It put 336 pellets in a 10" circle @ 40yds. I believe this will do the trick....HOWEVER, only traveling @ 1090fps compared to the MagBlend @ 1200fps ....I was picking some of the #7 shot out of the particle board,basically what I'm saying is I believe that this load will kill a turkey @ 40yds. but I don't believe it would be a good idea to go past that. I know I'm gonna get some nay-sayers about this ,but thats alright because I specifically set this up as a test,it was a new piece of particle board,so I KNOW what's -what. If anyone has any hunts they care to share using this load ( H-13/ 3.5"/2.25oz./ #7 shot) please let's hear em'....HAPPY HUNTIN' EVERYBODY!!!!!

Borden811

Particle board isn't a turkey head/neck. I can promise you those hevi13 7s will zip thru a gobbler much farther than anyone should be shooting at turkeys.

gobblerhead

WOW!!!!!!!!!! I thought I was doing good w an IC .665 and got 267. That would scare me being so tight in close. I have killed em with the same exact shell at 40-45 yds no problem. I really like em in closer but sometimes u gotta take what they give you.
Gobble Gobble Gobble.........BOOOM.....Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Borden811 on April 15, 2016, 04:11:44 AM
Particle board isn't a turkey head/neck. I can promise you those hevi13 7s will zip thru a gobbler much farther than anyone should be shooting at turkeys.

Yea,I know but its just kinda one of those things that when I was seeing better penetration out of lead #5s than the HTL AND ESPECIALLY it's  sooooper-doooooper price tag I just kinda get let down a lil' bit!!!! Also, I compare it to the FED HW #7s(which there is no comparison) that is blowing THRU the same thickness of particle board at 100 YDS and I wonder why can't I have the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS ( the pellet count and patterning ability of the H-13,and the weight and SLEDGEHAMMER KNOCK -DOWN performance of the FED HW) ????But I'm the guy that tests' EVERY single little detail of EVERY  single little thing that I may have even an inkling about how it would be ifn it were like this.or how about ifn' it were over here instead of there....and in all honesty I prolly concern myself,and test waaaaaayyyy more things than is necessary,nut hey,THAT'S what makes us different!!!! Ifn' I may ask,what is your farthest CLEAN kill with the H-13 #7s ??? What are your #s and your set-up???

Dr Juice

Borden811

Benelli SBE 2, 26" barrel, Indian Creek BDS .665, 300-310 at 40 yards. I've killed 17 birds with the 7s, never had one not go straight down at the shot,  and other people I hunted with have used the setup to kill 5 others. The farthest one I've killed was 7 yards farther that we can discuss here. I also killed one that a buddy had rolled at 42 yards, and it managed to get in the air. Let's just say it was a fair bit past 40 yards when I smoked it, and it dropped out of the sky like a 20lb sack of taters dropped out of a 747. Pellets penetrated the spine and rib cage, went through the guts, and lodged in the breast meat. The bird also had 2 broken wings and one broken leg/thigh. If you really want ridiculous patterns and penetration, start loading tss. It makes heavyweight look like lead.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Borden811 on April 20, 2016, 09:39:41 PM
Benelli SBE 2, 26" barrel, Indian Creek BDS .665, 300-310 at 40 yards. I've killed 17 birds with the 7s, never had one not go straight down at the shot,  and other people I hunted with have used the setup to kill 5 others. The farthest one I've killed was 7 yards farther that we can discuss here. I also killed one that a buddy had rolled at 42 yards, and it managed to get in the air. Let's just say it was a fair bit past 40 yards when I smoked it, and it dropped out of the sky like a 20lb sack of taters dropped out of a 747. Pellets penetrated the spine and rib cage, went through the guts, and lodged in the breast meat. The bird also had 2 broken wings and one broken leg/thigh. If you really want ridiculous patterns and penetration, start loading tss. It makes heavyweight look like lead.

I don't doubt that the TSS is very good shot ....but I highly doubt it makes the Fed.HW shot look like lead when compared to it....it only weighs 3 G/CC more than the Fed. HW.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Borden811 on April 20, 2016, 09:39:41 PM
So you think I'm good to go with the H-13 #7 shot @ 40 yds. + ???? Ifn you have had luck with em' I'll take the word of a fellow hunter!!!! Thanks for the input and advice!!!!

Dtrkyman

when 50 of those 7s hit him in the melon and neck he ain't gonna make it!!!

CrustyRusty

If you're worried about the 7's go to the 6's. Even if pellet count drops by 100 you still have more than enough to kill a turkey. I remember when the standard was 100 or more in the ten at 40 was adequate. We shouldn't be so hung up on numbers.

reynolds243

great pattern, I shoot the 655 rob roberts with magblends and it is a super sweet set up

BOFF

I have a SBE I that does well with a Rhino 660 and the 3.5" #7s

God Bless,
David B.

Cut N Run

Serious business Bink, that is an awesome pattern!  It looks like you hit the right combination.   

I have killed turkeys no farther than 35 yards with 3" Hevi #7s and it definitely kicks @$$.  I have shot those same Hevi #7s  traveling at 1090 fps at a laser measured 40 yard patterning board and got extremely good penetration. I backed up to 50 just to try and it would still work.  In normal turkey hunting ranges Hevi #7s will absolutely thump a gobbler.  A 3.5" load should provide a bigger swarm of pellets with a greater shock factor than 3" shells does.

Your pattern rocks BOFF!  There's no doubt that those gobblers are in for it this year. 

Good luck this year guys!  I'd say you're ready.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

BINK McCARTY

Thanks everybody for the words of encouragement! !!!! I suppose I was just overthinkin the actual  penetration I'd get with a turkey head/neck compared to particle board.