OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LONG BEARDS IN FIELDS

Started by Tommy, April 13, 2016, 02:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

I HAVE KILLED A LOT OF LONG BEARDS IN FIELDS & IT SEEMS IF THERE ARE 2,3,OR MORE THAT COME IN, IF YOU TAKE JUST ONE, IT SEEMS I NEVER SEE THE OTHERS IN FIELD THE REST OF THE SEASON. WHERE OR WHAT DO THEY DO . RELOCATE? MOVE TOTALLY AWAY FROM AREA???? ANY COMMENTS OR SUGESSTIONS

davisd9

Have killed birds in a field in the morning and then saw some others in there a few hours later. Not sure why you are experiencing what you are.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ozark870Hunter

Had a miss on a field Tom trio. The next day the 3 were still there, but not as eager to come in. A subordinate came in from behind though. So idk?
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

CMBOSTC

Do you stand up when they can still see you?

g8rvet

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on April 14, 2016, 08:38:25 AM
Amen.  When you shoot, don't move.  Start calling and settle them down.  Do not get your bird until they are gone.  I did this and the bird settled down and proceeded to gobble and strut in the same field.  Got some really good pics and called him back in to shooting range.  I then stopped calling and he eventually wandered off. I killed him 2 weeks later (maybe three) in the late morning and he had not gobbled, but I knew we was still around.  Came in quiet, right to me.  Called every 10 minutes or so.  I know it was the same bird because I thought he was double bearded, but it was just an oddly curled beard that looked like two beards. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: g8rvet on April 15, 2016, 05:22:38 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on April 14, 2016, 08:38:25 AM
Amen.  When you shoot, don't move.  Start calling and settle them down.  Do not get your bird until they are gone.  I did this and the bird settled down and proceeded to gobble and strut in the same field.  Got some really good pics and called him back in to shooting range.  I then stopped calling and he eventually wandered off. I killed him 2 weeks later (maybe three) in the late morning and he had not gobbled, but I knew we was still around.  Came in quiet, right to me.  Called every 10 minutes or so.  I know it was the same bird because I thought he was double bearded, but it was just an oddly curled beard that looked like two beards.

Exactly, the gun shot doesn't spook them nearly as much as seeing a human.

jims

What is the "home range" of the turkeys you hunt?  Some may live and die within a mile square area while turkeys in other areas may winter in one area and literally migrate 10 miles away for strutting/nesting, etc.  If you happen to shoot/spook birds that are in the transition period from winter to spring zones...it may send them over the edge and disappear to their strutting/roosting areas.  As an example;  I hunted a spot in late March  and had over 200 turkeys roosting in a line of trees one day....shot a tom and there were only 20 turkeys in the same line of trees from that day on.  I literally watched groups break up, scatter, and head several miles to their spring strutting/nesting grounds.  I've also noticed that merriams in areas with lots of predators act pretty funky....are quiet and move considerably if pressured.

Tommy

Thanks guys. First time on turkey forum. Yes I sat there and called bird back in but couldn't get a clean shot so I wouldn't shoot. Waited Til he finally walked off. Don't think that he saw me, but maybe he did. There is a lot of acres and they have a lot of land to roam on. This has happened in several fields. I appreciate all the information. Been turkey hunting a lot of years, but I'm a believer that you can always learn something no matter how long you've been in it. Is there any guys out there that this is their favorite hunting of all??? Lol