turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need an opinion

Started by Brknarrow1970, April 12, 2016, 09:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brknarrow1970

Had an experience with Decoys in the hardwoods and would like some thoughts?

My set-up was a creek bottom loaded with hardwoods but some relatively open areas
I actually had 3 encounters with Gobblers,
I had my DSD decoys out, the gobblers came within 40 yards(too far for a shot-bowhunting) but would not come closer and skirted around the set-up
I had a the jake and upright hen

Any thoughts they gobbled like crazy after they got around the set-up

Should i leave the decoys and just call? try the jake by itself? , going to relocate slightly about 40 yards as terrain may have been a factor

Any thoughts , the decoys work great in a field but wouldn't sure why they didn't commit in the woods

Dmason3

Just turkeys being turkeys man. Maybe they got too close before they saw the decoys and it spooked them? I've heard people say not to use decoys in the woods because sometimes it has a negative effect on them. I've personally never had any luck with decoys in the woods. At least you're in their wheel house and maybe next time they'll be closer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Had a similar situation on opening day, but in a field.  He would not come in with a Leading hen DSD and a Funky Chicken.  He skirted the spread, gobbling and strutting at 75 yards.  After he walked away gobbling and I was sure he was far enough to not see me, I snuck out and pulled the Jake decoy in.  He showed back up an hour later and walked right in to the hen.  He took a truck ride home.  Just a thought. 

I don't often use decoys in the woods, but a buddy of mine always did and he has killed a ton of turkeys. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BBD

Same thing here opening morning. Had 2 come in from the north and 1 from the west. They got there all about the same time. The 2 from north came to within 20 foot of a DSD jake DSD upright hen but wouldn't come any closer. In the past they have usually jumped all over the jake but not that morning. Sunday morning same decoy set up but different group of birds.  Ran right in and were standing over jake.  Both birds that died were mature birds with over 1" spurs.  Last year I had just the jake out and had a 2 yr old come in and bull doze right over the decoy.  Guess what I'm saying is "who knows"

NYlogbeards

I'd try not using a decoy next time, I think the reason that the birds go off in different direction is they try to get the turkeys (decoy) to follow them or the gobbler isn't interested in fighting.

FLTXhunter

So when I say I am not an expert, I am not an expert.  Been hunting turkeys for 3 years and killed me first bird last year.  I killed him on my 3rd year of hunting the hardwoods.  First 2 years, I always used decoys.  Last year, left the decoys at home and killed me bird.  Again, no expert but 2 years with decoys in hardwoods= 0 birds.  1 year withOUT decoys= 1 bird dead.

Marc

Here is my feeling on hunting with decoys in the woods.

If they come in some distance looking for the hen that is calling them, they will continue forward motion until they spot her.  I stopped using decoys in wooded areas, cause the birds often seemed to hang up as soon as they spotted the decoys.

They do not often come in drummin' and struttin', but I actually have them hang up less without decoys in wooded or brushy areas.

Now, hunting open ground (which for me is a meadow or pasture in the foothills), I feel that the decoys can be a benefit.  Also, if I were going to hunt with a bow or pellet rifle, I would use decoys (primarily to put the bird where I want to shoot him).

And, I am a big believer in NOT calling at birds I can see.  If I can see them, they can see me, and they can pinpoint that noise, and know there should be a hen where my camouflage blob is.  If a bird is hanging up but almost in range, I will call at him when he gets behind a tree, bush, or in a depression and cannot see me.  If a bird is making any forward progress towards me and almost in range, I do my best to control my impulse to call...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Brknarrow1970

Thanks for the options, I think Marc may have hit the next strategy I am going to try. Going to leave the dekes in the Jeep and try and persuade one into bow range. I have taken 3 in the last 3 years all with decoys but after witnessing birds hang up and skirt the decoys, I need to try something different.

Thanks again

fallhnt

Decoy movement helps. I've had that happen as well in fields. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

kjnengr

I'm no expert, but if you do want to use decoys, try getting between the gobbler and your decoys instead of having the decoys between you and the gobbler.  That way, if he hangs up, it will be closer to you range.

Bill Cooksey

Nothing works every time. Sometimes you can figure out the reason, and others it's just turkeys doing what they do. I'm far from anti-decoy. I've killed quite a few over decoys, and I expect I'll kill some more over them, but I rarely carry one anymore. I'll say this though, if a hunter will commit to going a few seasons without using decoys, he'll become a better hunter. They can become a crutch we depend on too much. With thought, you can almost always kill that bird without them. Once you are comfortable and successful with that mindset, your success rate over decoys will also improve.

jims

I can understand where not having decoys may not be as important when hunting wooded or thick, brushy country; however, I can see where it would be a disadvantage in open country.  Turkeys have incredible eyes and generally tend to key in on movement, color, shapes, etc.  I don't know how many times I've watched turkeys from a distance in open country....when they didn't see what they think is a live turkey/s they generally head the other direction.  Obviously being able to "talk turkey" also helps!

Marc

Quote from: kjnengr on April 13, 2016, 02:06:23 PM
I'm no expert, but if you do want to use decoys, try getting between the gobbler and your decoys instead of having the decoys between you and the gobbler.  That way, if he hangs up, it will be closer to you range.

That could work...  But in the woods, all too often birds will circle around and behind.  In fact, hardly ever has a bird actually come right in from the direction that seems logical to me.

Now the bird and the decoys are behind you.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Stickbow98

One possible reason for mature gobblers to be shy of a Jake decoy is the age structure of your area population. If you have an high ratio of jakes to mature birds, many times a group of jakes will band together and harass/chase an adult bird away from hens in a "strength in numbers" type scenario, even if the mature bird is the dominant Tom. This seems especially true in field set-ups.
In the woods a single hen is always most effective, especially if you use the terrain so that it can't be seen from a distance much greater than the shooting range of the weapon you are using.
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"