OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What happened to hunter ethics...

Started by MK M GOBL, April 11, 2016, 11:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

Quote from: warrent423 on April 13, 2016, 10:54:21 AM
I commend the original poster on his willingness to take young 'uns turkey "shooting". I too believe they all must start somewhere. However, I believe better than 75% of those who start out with instant success from a tent blind, over looking a flock of decoys in a field will end up loosing interest early on in life. But then again, that is just society in general these days, instant success, with no ambition to learn. And by the way, that was not me in the truck. If it had been, I would have ran over the tent, than backed up over it, and than ran it over again. Assuming there was nobody in it, of course. ;D  Good luck to all the young'uns this season. Teach them right boys. Leave the tents and decoys at home and take them kids "into" the woods, where they may learn something useful about turkey hunting ;)   Headed to the woods. Warrent out.
I disagree.  Get them interested in hunting and THEN work on the woodsmanship.  Just my opinion.
:popcorn:

jakesdad

Quote from: renegade19 on April 13, 2016, 11:14:55 AM
I commend the original poster on his willingness to take young 'uns turkey "shooting". I too believe they all must start somewhere. However, I believe better than 75% of those who start out with instant success from a tent blind, over looking a flock of decoys in a field will end up loosing interest early on in life. But then again, that is just society in general these days, instant success, with no ambition to learn. And by the way, that was not me in the truck. If it had been, I would have ran over the tent, than backed up over it, and than ran it over again. Assuming there was nobody in it, of course. ;D  Good luck to all the young'uns this season. Teach them right boys. Leave the tents and decoys at home and take them kids "into" the woods, where they may learn something useful about turkey hunting ;)   Headed to the woods. Warrent out.
I disagree.  Get them interested in hunting and THEN work on the woodsmanship.  Just my opinion.

This ^^^

Im wondering if warrent423 is buddies with our old friend LF Cox? Same opinion on blinds and da'coys, as he always put it.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

g8rvet

Quote from: jakesdad on April 13, 2016, 12:58:47 PM
Quote from: renegade19 on April 13, 2016, 11:14:55 AM

This ^^^

Im wondering if warrent423 is buddies with our old friend LF Cox? Same opinion on blinds and da'coys, as he always put it.

Same winning personality too. 

It must be a terribly heavy burden to be such a prophet of turkey hunting and no one cares what you think. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Bill Cooksey

Making sure a kid is comfortable and doing what you can to ensure success will go a long way toward their having a pleasant experience. That said, I honestly think kids are either going to love it or not. Certainly they have to be given the opportunity to find out, and there's no reason not to make it as much fun as possible, but most will either get into it in a big way or migrate to other things eventually.

I've seen too many kids from the same family and raised the same way where one loves it and the other rarely hunts after leaving home. With my oldest, I was fairly young, and I didn't change anything about the way I hunted or fished for him, and he loved it with every fiber of his being. With my youngest, I tried hard to make it about him having fun. He enjoys hunting and hates fishing, but he doesn't love it like his brother. I've seen the same with a ton of siblings.

Key is, take the kids and let them decide no matter how you go about it.

Marc

Quote from: g8rvet on April 13, 2016, 04:15:02 PM

It must be a terribly heavy burden to be such a prophet of turkey hunting and no one cares what you think.

I do not know who you guys are referring to, but here is my take... 

It is a valid discussion.  He makes a valid point, he just has a terrible way of doing so, which removes any merit from his discussion...  I happen to disagree with his point of view (even if it were made with some degree of tact), but the manner in which I introduce my children to the outdoors is a conscious thought process for me.

Looking at his second post, he is fishing...  Trolling if you will for some sort of reaction, and he got it.  His first post was a tad rude, his second post was absurd.  If these posts are sincere, I am certain he has a giant trophy of a rectum on his mantel...  Cause he would win that contest for sure.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Happy

I tend to align myself more with the old school way of doing things. I happen to agree with a lot of points that have been made by the some of the more outspoken people of this style. However I believe everyone has to be able to be civil and and able to withhold emotion in order to have an honest discussion. We get nowhere bickering and fighting. I don't labor under the illusion that everyone is going to see it my way all the time or even half the time. I have my personal beliefs and others have theirs. My biggest issue with some of the old school style of hunting is the eletist, snob attitude that sometimes is portrayed with it. If I have ever come across that way I apologize. There are plenty of people who are better at this game than i. I guess for me it's just about work and the desire to meet a challenge and play the game on what I deem to be a fair playing ground. I loose  more often than I win and I wouldn't have it any other way. Others may not agree and that's fine, they don't have to. Kudos for the gentleman for taking kids out and getting them involved in the outdoors. He is obviously very giving of his time and effort. In that respect many of us should do the same. I have nothing but respect for that.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

Quote from: Marc on April 13, 2016, 04:40:01 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on April 13, 2016, 04:15:02 PM

I do not know who you guys are referring to, but here is my take... 

It is a valid discussion.  He makes a valid point, he just has a terrible way of doing so, which removes any merit from his discussion...  I happen to disagree with his point of view (even if it were made with some degree of tact), but the manner in which I introduce my children to the outdoors is a conscious thought process for me.

Looking at his second post, he is fishing...  Trolling if you will for some sort of reaction, and he got it.  His first post was a tad rude, his second post was absurd.  If these posts are sincere, I am certain he has a giant trophy of a rectum on his mantel...  Cause he would win that contest for sure.

It is a valid discussion if the topic of the thread is "how should I raise my kids to turkey hunt?".  The topic was hunter ethics.  The know it all poster implied that what the OP did was not ethical and that offended some folks, me included. 

It is the difference between the guy that told me (and I do not know him well) that "You need to be raising my kids in Church" (to which I told him I am, just not YOUR church) and someone saying "we would love to have you worship with us.  One is constructive and welcome, the other is judgemental and offputting.

There are a million different ways to raise a young un and lots of them result in totally functional adults and yet they are very different. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

quavers59

This is all too common! Just yesterday, I reread an old article in Turkey Call mag from the 1990s-- The Mourning.  A young man was set-up with a tom that was gobbling good and a large turkey hunter was moving in towards the roost. The young man whistled and the large man looked at him and continued on to the roost hoping to take him off of there. A shot rang out and the large man tossed his hat to the ground and said to the young man--what are you shooting at! The young man said -nothing. The large man approached very fast and the young man knocked his shotgun out of his hands and pressed his forearm tightly under the large mans neck and pushed him against a tree. The large man was very passive after that! The young man told him to go home.---Sounds like something I might do if it happened to me!

Marc

Quote from: g8rvet on April 14, 2016, 12:14:10 PM
It is a valid discussion if the topic of the thread is "how should I raise my kids to turkey hunt?".  The topic was hunter ethics.  The know it all poster implied that what the OP did was not ethical and that offended some folks, me included. 

It is the difference between the guy that told me (and I do not know him well) that "You need to be raising my kids in Church" (to which I told him I am, just not YOUR church) and someone saying "we would love to have you worship with us.  One is constructive and welcome, the other is judgemental and offputting.

There are a million different ways to raise a young un and lots of them result in totally functional adults and yet they are very different.

I agree with everything you said...

I still think the guy was fishing (especially reading his second post)...  And the discussion is valid (but probably as you say for a different thread).

When taking my children into the field, I certainly ask others who have done so successfully, and unsuccessfully (I want to know what NOT to do as much as I want to know what to do).

No doubt that this thread has gone sideways, but under a different thread, could be an interesting discussion.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 11, 2016, 11:42:38 PM
and here's the boys longbeard!
MK M GOBL
Glad you were able to overcome his lack of consideration and ethics. Unfortunately, it's gotten to be that way, on both public and private land. Due to the surge in the popularity of turkey hunting, you have deal with more and more people. Sadly, not all of them are either ethical or considerate.
Good job on getting the boy his bird!! :icon_thumright:

OldSchool

First off, congrats to you guys on a nice one!! :icon_thumright:

As far as the other guys goes, I have no way of knowing what happened, but If he parked there knowing you were already set up where you were, then that's pretty low.

My opinion regarding hunting from blinds really doesn't matter. Personally I don't use them, but I can't fault anybody else for using one and I sure wouldn't when it involved getting kids into the sport. In my opinion, whatever tools you chose to use and how you choose to hunt is a personal thing and I hope everybody else gets as much enjoyment out of the sport as I do, however you choose to go about it.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.