OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What happened to hunter ethics...

Started by MK M GOBL, April 11, 2016, 11:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

There are lots of clear-cut cases of unethical behavior,...and then there are those that only appear that way at first glance.  This particular case might just be due to a combination of circumstances that make something look like poor ethics but, in reality was just an inadvertent mistake.  As others have already noted, this may well have been one of those cases. 

I'm not defending the guy for what happened, but I would be hesitant to condemn him without having some internal doubt based on your description of what took place. 

snapper1982

Congrats on the bird!

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 12, 2016, 06:03:54 AM
An 0500 sabotage attempt during a youth hunt might be a stretch. I'm going with the "he had no idea" you had blinds set up there, or at least figured nobody would be there for youth season. You talked with him on his way out with the little girl...was that the impression you got, that he purposely tried to mess up another youth hunt? I'm thinking the guy gets a little credit - he was out there taking a kid hunting? (I could be totally wrong, but...)

Anyway, CONGRATS to your young gun on a successful hunt!

Just because you dont want to believe it doesnt mean it was not the intent. I have seen isiots do stuff like this before.

Bill Cooksey

I tend to be with those who question if there was true intent. I assume talking to him helped determine if he really meant to be a jerk or it was simply an accident.

HogBiologist

Quote from: warrent423 on April 12, 2016, 09:40:56 AM
Personally don't have much respect for someone who would "teach" a kid to turkey hunt from a blind. Bet his kid learned more from being out of the blind then yours did being in it, even though they never killed a gobbler ;) Being a traditional, old school turkey hunter who was taught to use woodsmanship and knowledge of turkeys habits to kill them, this is just my opinion.

What a male member thing to say. Rather than praise a man for taking his kid huntin, you bash him because he used a blind. Well guess what, I let my girl sit in a blind this past weekend. We also sat out in the open. It is buttholes like you that are ruining this sport. It might be your opinion, but bashing other hunters make you a jerk. Keep that type of opinion to your self. There is no place for it here.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

M Sharpe

I can't say what the man's intent was, but he should have pulled his truck down inside the property line he had permission to hunt. That easement doesn't give parking rights, they are for ingress and egress!!
Congrats on a nice bird!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

TauntoHawk

Personally don't have much respect for someone who would "teach" a kid to turkey hunt from a blind. Bet his kid learned more from being out of the blind then yours did being in it, even though they never killed a gobbler ;) Being a traditional, old school turkey hunter who was taught to use woodsmanship and knowledge of turkeys habits to kill them, this is just my opinion.
Really man, like really??? I cant say I don't personally like to hunt inside blinds myself as it drives me crazy to feel like I can't hear or see anything even if that's not the case but to bash someone for using one with a kid simply because you're old "school" and they weren't invented yet when you started hunting is a little wait no extremely harsh, narrow-minded, and short sighted.

Are you against treestands for deer, how about modern bows (gotta be recurve right?), bet you can't stand ppl that drive to their hunting spot... The nerve, in your day you had to walk everywhere

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

870FaceLift

TauntoHawk,  :agreed:

Uncalled-for opinion in this particular thread.

To the OP: I would hope that someone wouldn't purposely attempt to spoil a youth's hunt, but who know's?  There is something about hunting that makes people act illogical, and often immoral.
Pass it on...

renegade19

There's a few decent guys left out there.  Couple deer seasons ago I left my climber locked to a tree.  Next time I showed up, there was a nice note on it from a guy who had permission to hunt the adjoining property.  Note explained I was trespassing and had a copy of the plat map and his phone # with it. He also offered to let me hunt that property if I needed ground to hunt! Long story made short, I texted him an apology and thanked him for not damaging my gear.  We ended up becoming friends and share scouting reports on the deer and turkeys.  Turns out, he was the one on the wrong side of the property line but that's a different story!

101st501

I'm just glad the young man still got his bird.

nsselle

Congrats on getting the youth his bird, despite the circumstances. 

WarrenT423, we see very clearly that you have zero respect, move on man, unbelievable.

jakesdad

Really? i dont like hunting from blinds either,and dont unless my boys(age 9 and 6)are with me. To me the quickest way to turn away a kid from something new is to make it hard and/or not fun. Taking a first time hunter,especially a kid and telling them "sit here against this tree and dont move at all" for a few hours is going to turn away a lot of future hunters. Kind of like teaching your kid to play baseball but having the local high school ace coming over and throwing him pitches. According to your way of thinking they're going to learn a lot more facing 70mph heaters than they will hitting soft toss or off a tee right?

My 6 year old shot his first gobbler last saturday during the MO youth season at 15 yds,over decoys and out of a blind. I can tell you with 100% certainty that that bird would not have meant anymore to me if we had done it "the real way". My 9 year old is starting to want to hunt more and more without the blind and i'm happy to show him how.

So please get off your high and mighty high horse and keep your incredibly rude comments to
yourself. Rant over  :angry9:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Marc

That is certainly your prerogative with your own children.  That is an awful tall horse you are sittin' on though.

However, speaking for myself and taking kids out, my goal is to make it fun for them, and some degree of success certainly adds to the entertainment value.

At 3 and 5 years old, when I do not take my daughters fishing, I take them catching.  I take them somewhere where they are going to catch a lot of fish easily...  I also know we will be collecting pine cones and picking flowers.

When I take the kids dove or duck hunting, I do so on days I expect some action, and when the weather is cooperating.  I do not take them out on a tough day and say "this is how it is, if you don't like it stay home."

With turkey hunting, it is tough for a child to sit still long enough for a bird to come in good range.  When they cannot hold still and birds won't come in, it will not be fun for them (especially when dad is visibly angry about the child not sitting still).

A blind provides a situation where the child can move around a bit, be more likely to turn and see the birds, and allows the child to eat some snacks, take a nap, use the camera to take some pictures (as in my case)...  It affords a higher degree of success with less frustration both on the parent and the child's part.

And then you have to consider the situation and bird population...  I think many of you are hunting far higher bird populations than some of us.  For some of you, if the first bird bumps off, there is likely another one that might show, or at least another one close by to move in on. Generally, I have a bird (or maybe two) that is active on any property I hunt.  I mess that bird up, and we are pretty much done. 

It has been my experience, that as the child develops (both emotionally and in skill level) that they themselves will want to hunt  more "like daddy does."  The key is to get them out, have some fun, and show them some degree of success, and allow for that experience so that there knowledge and experience can grow along with their desire to go out. 

I know I will be using a blind when I take my kids turkey hunting at first.  I want them to have fun, and have a better chance of experiencing a successful hunt.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

NYlogbeards

It wasn't a question of whether or not you have respect for someone who chooses to hunt with their child the way they see fit, that's your opinion and you could have kept it to yourself but instead you choosed to disrespect the OP and any other person who uses legal ethics while hunting. I myself can not have much respect for someone who would criticize another hunter or someone who would condone ruining another hunters hunt because of something they don't like.

g8rvet

Summer's Eve.

I let my son water whack Wood Ducks for the first few years I took him hunting.  No apology from me. We got to eat food he had provided for the family.  They look prettier when they are water whacked for the table too.  As he has grown in to a man, he shoots his birds flying now.  And is dang good at it. I like to think a little early success kept him interested. Goodness gracious there are plenty of other things pulling kids away from the outdoors. If you wait until they are old enough to "hunt like a (wo)man" they are not gonna want to hunt with you anyways. 
Also let my son shoot a jake when he was 12.  First bird.  No blind, but I had cut some limbs and stuff to make a ground blind.  Had never seen a commercial one back then.  If I had, I might have used it.   The really awesome thing is I raised my kids the way I wanted and could not give two (morning constitutionals) what some internet "expert" thinks. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

Sorry, forgot the OP thanks to the "expert".

I am off a like mind it was just a mistake, but you talked to him and would know better. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.