OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What happened to hunter ethics...

Started by MK M GOBL, April 11, 2016, 11:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So I am always taking some kids out turkey hunting, or introducing it a "New" adult hunter and passing on the tradition. Well on the opener of our WI Youth Season I have a dad & son team come out with me for the boy's first turkey hunt. I have been scouting the area for a week, set a pair of blinds up for us 2 days ahead of opener and on private land. Get up early, park the truck and hike our way in only to walk up to a truck parked 30ft from my blinds, this is at 5:00am and the now what do I do...
Well we setup anyway and held to the game plan, about 8:00am here comes a  guy out with a young girl hunter in tow, we get out of the blinds to talk with him and he said he didn't know anyone else was hunting here and this is their easement. Well I talked to the land owner and he had no idea who the guy was, but knew the property owner, who does not own the easement but the land owner I am on owns it. I would have really liked to explain a little about ethics to this "hunter" and hate to use this term to describe him... because this guy purposely parked there and walked by the blinds going in by 4 ft. I guess my story ends good on one detail. Ryan still got his bird!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

and here's the boys longbeard!

MK M GOBL

NYlogbeards

Some people have no brains or respect for other hunters, trespassing fine is a sure good way for some to learn, I bet he parked there to try and spook any birds coming to the blinds I would have moved them right in front of the truck to conceal it...

Nice bird.

Marc

I guess I do not understand.  Did the guy have permission from someone to be there?

If he did, I can honestly say, at O'dark thirty, I might not see a turkey blind blind off the road either.  On those little dirt roads in the morning, I am looking for some little marker on the road where to park, and not really paying attention as to what is off to the side (cause I cannot see it anyways).

If he had permission, I can honestly say, I would be capable of the same mistake. 

Now, if he did not have permission, or saw the blind and still parked there...  Well, I would use a specific part of the human anatomy (which generally has an unpleasant odor) to describe his behavior... (rhymes with a good place to go fishing).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Marc on April 12, 2016, 12:01:17 AM
I guess I do not understand.  Did the guy have permission from someone to be there?

If he did, I can honestly say, at O'dark thirty, I might not see a turkey blind blind off the road either.  On those little dirt roads in the morning, I am looking for some little marker on the road where to park, and not really paying attention as to what is off to the side (cause I cannot see it anyways).

If he had permission, I can honestly say, I would be capable of the same mistake. 

Now, if he did not have permission, or saw the blind and still parked there...  Well, I would use a specific part of the human anatomy (which generally has an unpleasant odor) to describe his behavior... (rhymes with a good place to go fishing).

He does have use of the easement to get to the property behind the property I hunt, what he did not have was permission to park there, he should drove through and parked it on the adjoining land owners property.

My thoughts were they same he parked it there to keep any birds from coming in to us... he left empty handed, we did not :)

MK M GOBL

NYlogbeards

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 12, 2016, 12:16:46 AM
Quote from: Marc on April 12, 2016, 12:01:17 AM

He does have use of the easement to get to the property behind the property I hunt, what he did not have was permission to park there, he should drove through and parked it on the adjoining land owners property.

My thoughts were they same he parked it there to keep any birds from coming in to us... he left empty handed, we did not :)

MK M GOBL

Karma is a wonderful thing idiot leaves empty handed and you leave with a bird. Well maybe I would have let him leave with a bird too (middle finger)

Marc

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 12, 2016, 12:16:46 AM

MK M GOBL

I suppose he is somewhat lucky that the bird was not in between you and the truck when the boy got his shot... ;D

While duck hunting(public area with limited reservations to get in), someone once parked his car on the boat ramp blocking everyone else from launching, and took off in his boat (thinking he had prevented anyone else from hunting).  Someone else unhitched their boat, and used their truck to push his out of the way...  Oddly nobody else at the boat ramp complained about the manner in which the vehicle was moved...

As NYlogbeards points out, Karma has a way of showing up in some interesting ways...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

tomstopper

MK M GOBL, Glad to hear that the youngster still got his bird. Congrats to you both....

Here is my experience with how lost ethics have become with some people: Ethics are becoming few and far between in some of the areas that I hunt here in NY. Last year I had permission to hunt a track of land that bordered  pipeline that I didn't have permission to hunt. At the beginning of the season I was hunting inside the track of land where I had permission only to get back to my truck and find a note on it from the pipeline land owners stating that they didn't want me next to their property line at all. I called them and told them that I was not on their land and that I only hunt within my boundaries. This made things worse because every time they would see my truck on the no winter maintenance road, they would run atv's up and down the pipeline (they lived close by so this turned into an everyday occurrence) as to scare any birds that were close by. Needless to say, I had to stop hunting there before my temper got the best of me (come to find out from a DEC friend of mine and the landowner, these two individuals have been arrested before for trespassing on the land that I had permission to hunt and many game and fish violations including hunting out of season when they were hunting on youth weekend without any youths present). I would say that these individuals lack any morals or ethics and that there are many more like them out there.

SteelerFan

An 0500 sabotage attempt during a youth hunt might be a stretch. I'm going with the "he had no idea" you had blinds set up there, or at least figured nobody would be there for youth season. You talked with him on his way out with the little girl...was that the impression you got, that he purposely tried to mess up another youth hunt? I'm thinking the guy gets a little credit - he was out there taking a kid hunting? (I could be totally wrong, but...)

Anyway, CONGRATS to your young gun on a successful hunt!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 12, 2016, 06:03:54 AM
An 0500 sabotage attempt during a youth hunt might be a stretch. I'm going with the "he had no idea" you had blinds set up there, or at least figured nobody would be there for youth season. You talked with him on his way out with the little girl...was that the impression you got, that he purposely tried to mess up another youth hunt? I'm thinking the guy gets a little credit - he was out there taking a kid hunting? (I could be totally wrong, but...)

This is my thought exactly.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

backwater

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 12, 2016, 06:15:33 AM
Quote from: SteelerFan on April 12, 2016, 06:03:54 AM

This is my thought exactly.

That's the feeling I get as well.   

turkey buster

It's a shame that in the most civilized country people can't act civilized.

Dr Juice

maytom

Congrats on the hunt, and I have had similar experiences with other hunters as well. I agree, what happened to hunter ethics?

boatpaddle

WTG.... :icon_thumright:

Some times, you just have to adapt and overcome... ;)

We have our fair share of one way knuckleheads here in PA., too....

Continued success.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome