OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting in adverse weather?

Started by cornfedkiller, April 11, 2016, 09:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

Well just like every year, the forecast for my annual trip to Nebraska is calling for rain, thunderstorms, and wind. 

Friday is supposed to be 25+ mph winds and gusts up to 40, and a 50% chance of rain. Saturday is less windy, but 70% chance of rain, and Sunday and Monday are the same  :(   At least the forecast isnt calling for 6+" of snow while we're there this time!

I will be bowhunting with a blind.. What tips do you guys have? I know birds like open areas/fields when its raining, but do they seek out sheltered places when its windy? 

Triple Gobble

Well by no means am I an expert, but just
Experienced that same weather this weekend in
Texas.  We killed 3 birds in the thicker stuff when the
Wind got up to blowing 25+.  Seemed like that's the
Only place they wanted to be.  And as far as rain goes, from
My past experiences, I've done better in the fields when raining. 
Just my experiences.  Good Luck!!!! :bible:
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

Tomcat655

I like bad weather .. They are easy to find and they seem to always be looking for a buddy so calling them in gets easier my experience

fallhnt

I just got back from my bowhunt in NE and KS. 30mph wind every day. Didn't bother the birds but with no cover I had to hunt where I could set out a blind. My buddy and I took home 4 birds so it wasn't to bad. What I was doing was setting up in the good spots in the a.m. and hunting until it was just to bad to hunt from the blind. Then I would move out of the wind until around 5:00 when the wind seemed to slow down and set back up where they would travel to the roost. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

cornfedkiller

Quote from: fallhnt on April 11, 2016, 01:12:40 PM
I just got back from my bowhunt in NE and KS. 30mph wind every day. Didn't bother the birds but with no cover I had to hunt where I could set out a blind. My buddy and I took home 4 birds so it wasn't to bad. What I was doing was setting up in the good spots in the a.m. and hunting until it was just to bad to hunt from the blind. Then I would move out of the wind until around 5:00 when the wind seemed to slow down and set back up where they would travel to the roost. Good luck

This may be my exact strategy.  Thanks and congrats on the birds!

wmn2

Opening day here in SC, it was pouring down rain by the bucketfuls. I sat an open field and about an hour after daylight, the rain and wind quit and not 5 minutes later I had a longbeard come in the field gobbling at my decoys. Saw me move and I missed a running shot, but hey I was pumped up anyways.