News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Rio hunt - Oklahoma - Tagged out!

Started by chefrific, April 11, 2016, 08:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chefrific

Quote from: Txag12 on April 11, 2016, 03:09:46 PM
Very nice. That is some good country to hunt. Were you in the Altus area? Lots of guys call rios easy...but like you said they provide their own set of challenges due to terrain and range. Great trip you had!

I was just north of the Altus area.  Close enough that I was entertained by C-17's from the base buzzing around us constantly.
Yeah, they answer calling easy, but what I found is that unless you are in their planned route, it's extremely hard to pry them off course. 
Tactic of setting up between a couple of groups near roost time and calling worked really well. 
In my opinion, Rios are a LOT more active and vocal than Easterns right before they roost.

WW

Happy

Congrats! Good to see you grinning from ear to ear in those pics!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JK Spurs

Congrats! I hunted OK last year for the first time. The very first morning I had a bird gobbling on roost about 60 yards in front of me. He hit the ground to my right and off he went like he was going on a morning jog. Definitely different hunting style than the Eastern in my experience.
I like my turkey well peppered

OldSchool

Sounds like a good time to me. Congrats on a great hunt and a couple beautiful birds!! :icon_thumright: Loved the pictures, thank you.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Congratulations, nice bird. From what you seen and heard how do you think the hunting will be out there in two weeks?

tomstopper

chefrific

Quote from: aaron.haverfield@gmail.co on April 11, 2016, 10:56:55 PM
Congratulations, nice bird. From what you seen and heard how do you think the hunting will be out there in two weeks?

All depends on how much pressure they get, however the rancher was telling me that they were not quite fired up yet while I was there. If that's the case, it might be quite a show in a couple of weeks. 

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

Good hunt!

Good to see that area rebounding from the drought. It really had hurt the population is some areas down there.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Sand Man

:you_rock:  I cut my teeth on Easterns.  Can't tell you how many I killed that came in never saying a word.  I much prefer hunting Rios.  I've never killed one that came in silent.  I was in OK this weekend as well.  Called in two birds for a Wounded Warrior.  He missed both times.  I killed a bird on Sunday and then got to hunt Fort Sill on Monday.  I've never seen so many birds in my life.  That place has to be the mecca of turkey hunting.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Quote from: chefrific on April 12, 2016, 06:24:47 AM
Quote from: aaron.haverfield@gmail.co on April 11, 2016, 10:56:55 PM

All depends on how much pressure they get, however the rancher was telling me that they were not quite fired up yet while I was there. If that's the case, it might be quite a show in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info. Hope I can smoke one as nice as yours.

Drthorn

I too just finished my first Rio hunt and it was in Oklahoma as well! Definitely different country than what I am used to here in KY. I was also fortunate enough to tag out with 2 nice rios!

surehuntsalot

congrats on what looks to have been an awesome hunt
it's not the harvest,it's the chase