OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tagged out in S Carolina!!

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 10, 2016, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I'm tagged out in Carolina with a nice gobbler on an exciting hunt. :icon_thumright: Not much gobbling on the roost that morning, but after relocating, a gobbler fired up 200 yards away at 1015. :gobble: He gobbled 84 times in the next 40 minutes, at my calls, song birds and crows. Finally he got quiet, so I fed him silence as well.
After 10 minutes I floated out a few clucks followed by some soft yelps. He roared back his approval from just inside the woods. :gobble: Five minutes later he stepped out on the edge of the field. He walked into the field, but wasn't on course. I clucked at him, he raised his head, spotted my DSD hen, broke into strut :turkey: and started angling his way in towards her.
It took him about 8 minutes to work his way in. I dropped the hammer on my Dad's old Browning A5 when he was 25 yards out. The Federal Heavyweight #7's hit home and he crumpled into the dirt, a mere 10 yards from where the other two gobblers fell on my last trip. He weighed 18 pounds, had a 9-5/8" beard and twin 1-5/16" spurs.
He was the first gobbler I've taken with Dad's old gun that I tracked down and bought back after Pop passed away. :icon_thumright: It was an emotional harvest. I finally got a gobbler with my Dad's gun!! I knelt over the bird, looked towards Heaven and said thank you to my Dad. I know he was watching over me, and was smiling.

Dad's A5 that I tracked down and bought back after he passed away.

Happy

Congrats! Glad you got your dads gun back and put it to good use.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dr Juice

Awesome bird and story brother. Congrats.

owlhoot

congrats , great story ! Your dads old gun make it real special. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

boomer

mgm1955

nitro

Awesome!! That's a great bird and a real nice A-5.

Congratulations!!!
Royal Slam 2008

OldSchool

Congrats!! :icon_thumright: A beautiful bird and a great story, thank you.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Rio Fan

Congrats on a beautiful bird. And that's so cool you shot it with your dad's gun.  :icon_thumright:

tomstopper

Congrats on the bird and great story. I am betting your dad was smiling from ear to ear.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks guys!! I'm sure he was as well. :icon_thumright:

FlyFishNut

Britton40

Strick9

Rock on brother! BTW we don't have Turkeys in SC, just sayin ..
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2