OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: One more step .  (Read 6168 times)

Offline SnapT

One more step .
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:18:48 PM »
  Completed my turkey Exam this morning . (Here in Ontario we must complete a Turkey exam in addition to everything else) . Then promptly hit the LGS and grabbed my Spring turkey licence (two seals as I am optimistic lol) . I am now eagerly awaiting the mailman with my Halloran Crystal Mistress and of course my gun .  I should just have enough time to pattern said gun and get a rail installed  , woot .

Offline wally243

One more step .
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
Congrats. What area of Ontario are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SnapT

Re: One more step .
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 01:10:03 PM »
Durham Region  , Oshawa . I have a friend from work who turkey hunts with land near Orillia and am searching the web for public land closer lol .
The only people with tracts of land/farms that I know are far far away (Manitoulin Island  like far ) so I obviously need to search out some closer .

cheers

Offline wally243

One more step .
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
Oxford county here. Long ways from ya. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 4n2t0

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »
Don't be afraid to knock on doors. Many farmers will turn you down but it only takes a few "hunter friendly" farmers to build a good network of hunting spots. My brother and I started 3-4 years ago with nowhere to hunt. Being "city boys" (Brampton) we decided to travel about 40 minutes away and spend two days knocking on doors. When it was all said and done we had 3 large farms (corn fields which abut to wooded areas) which granted us permission. We always make sure to give them a small gift basket at the end of the season to show our appreciation.

Offline SnapT

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
 Thanks for the tip .
 I think though that for me knocking on doors will prove harder than getting a turkey lol .

Offline 4n2t0

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
I think though that for me knocking on doors will prove harder than getting a turkey lol .

Why? No hands? LMAO! (No offence to the disabled)

Public hunting sites in Ontario suck, way too overcrowded. If you're not willing to knock on doors than I doubt you'll have any luck finding a decent spot, let alone getting a turkey.

Good luck to you and all the best this season.

Offline SnapT

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:13:14 AM »
 Yeah  I've heard that Crown land is a wee but crowded and not always easy to find .
A kind gent from work has offered to take me out for my first hunt should my gun ever arrive .
Till then I shall continue to drive my dog and children mad while practicing on my pot call lol .

Offline 4n2t0

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
Till then I shall continue to drive my dog and children mad while practicing on my pot call lol .

Yeah, I hear you. My wife always asks why I have to practice my "duck" calls. She knows I only hunt turkey so I think she says "duck" calls just to annoy me, lol.

What shotgun did you get? Where did you get in from?

Offline SnapT

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 12:56:02 PM »
 I ordered the Tristar Hunter mag Camo .    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVsOm_5m1tQ

I was drooling over the Browning cynergy ultimate turkey gun but realized I was not well-heeled lol .
Thus decided I would copy the idea .  So far have a Carlson longbeard XR choke for the top barrel and undecided on the bottom .
Just waiting on the knock on the door .

Offline 4n2t0

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
Did the firearm ever arrive? Have you gone hunting with your friend?

Offline SnapT

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
    The gun arrived but my buddy is ill .   I know another guy who said I could hit his property so I'm working on that .  I need to sight in the gun first though so things are looking grim .

Offline dutch@fx4

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44:34 PM »
I would love to hear how that gun works for you.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Good lookin gun.  Keep us posted.  Know a local guy here in VA that hunts with an over/under, keeps a mod. choke in the bottom barrel loaded with hi brass shot for close shots and the top barrel has a XX full  choke with a turkey load in it for 30-40 yard shots.  Has worked well for him.