turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting in the rain tomorrow...

Started by Marc, April 08, 2016, 01:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have precious few days to hunt turkeys this season, and with one of those days being tomorrow, I am going to take advantage of it...

Unfortunately, I will be hunting a heavy rain with possible thunderstorms...  I will not even be able to hunt the property I would like due to the road conditions in the rain (I can barely get there when that road is dry).

I bought a good size camouflage umbrella, drilled a hole in the bottom to attach a stake, and will be using a portable ground blind (Hunter's Specialties Backpack Blind).  Normally I do not like to hunt out of a blind, but I will have trouble sitting still in one spot quietly with no activity, and knowing that the birds will likely sneak in quietly, I want all the advantages I can get...

I plan on hunting a bird I saw a couple weeks ago, and will set up the last place I saw him strut.  A large meadow in front with a protective tree line behind me.

Some clucks and purrs early on, getting into some more aggressive yelping as the morning wears on...

I hope that bird is roosting in the same place, cause moving that set-up in the rain does not appeal to me...  Actually, I am not a fan of hunting in the rain at all...  Cleaning up all the gear after the hunt (especially the gun), as well as just plain being wet and miserable.  But, I have had unusually high success rate hunting in the rain in the past, and am really hoping (and praying) that the same holds true tomorrow.

I am excited about the prospects of a successful hunt, but a bit trepidatious about hunting in the rain...  Advice (as to staying comfortable or hunting tactics) is always welcome...

Who else is hunting tomorrow, and what is the game plan? 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dejake

I'm in the rain tomorrow.  Plan is to be done by 6:25, lol.  I'm after a particular bird, if it doesn't work out off the roost, I'll head to a field.  I'll get wet, but I'll survive.

MerriamMac

I'm hunting tomorrow, opening day here in colorado, in the rain as well.

I use my mouth calls, we'll conditioned rain gear, boots conditioned with several layers of snow seal and I take my gun that has been cerakoted.

I like it because most stay home or inside their truck and I can walk around amazingly quite,  which out west here in colorado is pretty rare.

Bill Cooksey

I'm going in by boat tomorrow. Haven't been on the ground there this year, so there's no plan other than to turkey hunt.

One key to hunting an open area, in this case a meadow, is the grass/cover being low. A live turkey is fairly waterproof until he brushes up against something wet (think an old canvas tent when you touch it). That said, you have to hunt what you got.

Best case for you would be the thunder starting before the rain. It usually gets them really wound up. If you can't get him before the rain hits, you'll at least know where he is.

As to gear, no different from my usual except I will only use mouth calls while it's coming down. Cotton clothes and rubber knee boots are the attire on every hunt unless it's cold enough to need fleece. I never wear rain gear turkey hunting. I'm going to end up wet either way.

TRG3

Hunting deer last fall in the rain from a ground lounger, I learned that rain bibs are superior to rain pants in that they do not allow for a gap between the rain jacket and the lower garment. I was very comfortable all day except for my cold damp crack! I prefer rain gear to hunting from a blind because it gives me greater vision of what's happening around me as well as easier mobility even though I'd certainly be dryer in a blind.

hobbes

If it's already raining, maybe even rained throughout the night, don't be surprised if he gobbled a few times (maybe not) but takes forever to fly down.  Like said above, short grass/clean field or possibly open woods is where I've found them in rain.  Don't lose all common sense about your own safety from wind or lightening in a storm.

If I feel up to it (been sick all week), I'll be hunting the opener in MT.......75 and sunshine.  That's crazy nice for an opener here.

SS Calls

Looks like we'll be hunting in the snow tomorrow.  :character0029: Forecast is cold, windy, and snow.. Sounds like fun.  :z-dizzy:

kyturkeyhunter4

Good luck to all of you guys, I'm still waiting till April 16, I can't wait to get out in the woods.

ilbucksndux

I have a Buckwings Porta Roof and I love it. I have had the thing 15 or more years and it NEVER leaves my turkey vest.
Gary Bartlow

Tail Feathers

I have raid predicted for two or three days of my out of state hunt next week.  I'm taking a blind that hopefully will help keep me mostly dry.  No shame in that to me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 08, 2016, 03:55:09 PM
I have a Buckwings Porta Roof and I love it. I have had the thing 15 or more years and it NEVER leaves my turkey vest.

It is "no longer available." :'(
Did I do that?

Marc

It is pouring rain here now, which means a torrential downpour in the foothills where I will be hunting...

My wife asked if I was still going, and I replied "of course I am!"  She told me I was crazy, but I corrected her, and told her I am stupid...

After all...  "Men marry crazy, and women marry stupid."
Did I do that?

mgm1955

GobbleNut

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 10, 2016, 10:57:17 AM
Well, Marc,...what transpired?
I got very wet.  It was the worst rain I have ever turkey hunted in, and would have far preferred to be waterfowl hunting yesterday.

Pouring when I got there and never let up.  Never heard or saw bird.  I left when I realized that a creek I  had to cross had come over the little dirt road I drove in on.

Glad I had the umbrella.  It does not look that strong, but a large tree branch broke off the tree I was sitting under and fell on it (would have been me).  I never heard the branch break or falling, so when it hit that umbrella, I realized what it is going to feel like when I eventually have a heart attack.
Did I do that?