Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

UPDATED.....South Texas Rancher looking to fill 4-5 Rio hunts for 2016 and 2017

Started by Spurcollector64, April 08, 2016, 01:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurcollector64

UPDATE........I JUST SPOKE WITH MY RANCHER AND WE JUST ACQUIRED EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO DEER AND TURKEY HUNT A NEW 5000 ACRE TRACT THAT HAS BEEN MANAGED FOR DEER BUT NEVER TURKEY HUNTED. WE ALSO ARE WORKING TO SECURE RIGHTS TO ANOTHER 7500 ACRE TRACT THAT THE SAME LANDOWNER HAS AVAILABLE. WE WILL HAVE A MINIMUM OF 11 PROPERTIES AND POSSIBLY AS MANY AS 13 TO HUNT FOR 2017. THESE PROPERTIES RANGE IN SIZE FROM 400 TO 5000 ACRES WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THIS NEW 7500 ACRE TRACT AS WELL. THIS WILL ASSURE THAT NONE OF THE PROPERTIES OR TURKEYS WILL BE OVERHUNTED!!!! We still have openings for 3-4 hunters before season ends in the south zone on May 1 and have already begun booking 2017 hunts.

I'm 51 and have been chasing longbeards since the age of 9 in 1974. I've been fortunate to be able to hunt many private tracts and harvest over 100 gobblers in 7 states. In 2014, I was looking for a place to take clients who wanted to harvest the Rio leg of their Grand Slam and called a friend who I knew had doubled for 5 or 6 years straight in Texas. He recommended I call a rancher who happens to also be a row crop and produce farmer that was a customer of his. I called and spoke with the rancher and decided to book a trip for 5 customers and myself. To say we were successful would be an understatement. I arrived two days early to hunt and scout in hopes of harvesting a couple of gobblers while locating birds for the clients as well. In two mornings that I hunted alone, I was able to call 11 mature gobblers into gun range harvesting my 2. The next 4 mornings and 3 afternoons, I was able to call 28 longbeards into range for 9 harvests and 2 misses. As a matter of fact, the only guy that didn't take two birds wouldn't take a shot at a gobbler that I called away from 26 hens when the bird turned to walk away at 50 steps. He just felt the shot was too far to try. Never mind the fact that the gobbler he did kill was at 60 steps after he had already missed him at 25. I feel very comfortable saying that this was the best place to turkey hunt that I have been to in 42 years.

I got a call last week from this rancher telling me that two groups that had always come for over 10 years had just cancelled for health reasons. Knowing that these hunters will likely not be able to continue coming, the rancher asked if I could possibly help find a few hunters for this season and has offered for me to handle all turkey hunting in the future. He is extremely busy in the spring with his farming duties and tends to focus his guiding efforts on white wing dove hunts and deer hunting in the fall and winter. There are 10 separate properties that we hunt that encompass anywhere from 400 to 2000 acres of classic Texas brush country. All properties have corn and protein feeders that are run for the deer year round as well as good water sources. We don't hunt on the feeders, but the fact that the food source is always there insures that the birds are as well. We have put together a few simple 2 bird hunt packages for the novice hunter all the way to the experienced hunter and are booking hunts for the remainder of 2016 (season ends on May 1) and 2017 now. Feel free to contact me here, and I will be glad to share pricing and also trail camera pictures of lots of gobblers from each property as well as pictures of the accommodations available.

Oldillini

I am interested in hearing more about the property, cost, etc. Not for 2016, but possibly 2017.

G4Farms

Quote from: Oldillini on April 08, 2016, 01:56:07 PM
I am interested in hearing more about the property, cost, etc. Not for 2016, but possibly 2017.

Ditto, Msg Sent.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Oldillini on April 08, 2016, 01:56:07 PM

agreed, where at in Texas and price/duration of hunt. Have a family in texas, might be a good time to visit and shoot a Rio or two.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hooksfan

I would be interested in gathering some information as far as pricing for a nephew of mine who lives in Louisiana.  Thanks.

Spurcollector64

Quote from: Spurcollector64 on April 08, 2016, 01:22:15 PM

UPDATE........I JUST SPOKE WITH MY RANCHER AND WE JUST ACQUIRED EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS TO DEER AND TURKEY HUNT A NEW 5000 ACRE TRACT THAT HAS BEEN MANAGED FOR DEER BUT NEVER TURKEY HUNTED. WE ALSO ARE WORKING TO SECURE RIGHTS TO ANOTHER 7500 ACRE TRACT THAT THE SAME LANDOWNER HAS AVAILABLE. WE WILL HAVE A MINIMUM OF 11 PROPERTIES AND POSSIBLY AS MANY AS 13 TO HUNT FOR 2017. THESE PROPERTIES RANGE IN SIZE FROM 400 TO 5000 ACRES WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THIS NEW 7500 ACRE TRACT AS WELL. THIS WILL ASSURE THAT NONE OF THE PROPERTIES OR TURKEYS WILL BE OVERHUNTED!!!!

I'm 51 and have been chasing longbeards since the age of 9 in 1974. I've been fortunate to be able to hunt many private tracts and harvest over 100 gobblers in 7 states. In 2014, I was looking for a place to take clients who wanted to harvest the Rio leg of their Grand Slam and called a friend who I knew had doubled for 5 or 6 years straight in Texas. He recommended I call a rancher who happens to also be a row crop and produce farmer that was a customer of his. I called and spoke with the rancher and decided to book a trip for 5 customers and myself. To say we were successful would be an understatement. I arrived two days early to hunt and scout in hopes of harvesting a couple of gobblers while locating birds for the clients as well. In two mornings that I hunted alone, I was able to call 11 mature gobblers into gun range harvesting my 2. The next 4 mornings and 3 afternoons, I was able to call 28 longbeards into range for 9 harvests and 2 misses. As a matter of fact, the only guy that didn't take two birds wouldn't take a shot at a gobbler that I called away from 26 hens when the bird turned to walk away at 50 steps. He just felt the shot was too far to try. Never mind the fact that the gobbler he did kill was at 60 steps after he had already missed him at 25. I feel very comfortable saying that this was the best place to turkey hunt that I have been to in 42 years.

I got a call last week from this rancher telling me that two groups that had always come for over 10 years had just cancelled for health reasons. Knowing that these hunters will likely not be able to continue coming, the rancher asked if I could possibly help find a few hunters for this season and has offered for me to handle all turkey hunting in the future. He is extremely busy in the spring with his farming duties and tends to focus his guiding efforts on white wing dove hunts and deer hunting in the fall and winter. There are 10 separate properties that we hunt that encompass anywhere from 400 to 2000 acres of classic Texas brush country. All properties have corn and protein feeders that are run for the deer year round as well as good water sources. We don't hunt on the feeders, but the fact that the food source is always there insures that the birds are as well. We have put together a few simple 2 bird hunt packages for the novice hunter all the way to the experienced hunter and are booking hunts for the remainder of 2016 (season ends on May 1) and 2017 now. Feel free to contact me here, and I will be glad to share pricing and also trail camera pictures of lots of gobblers from each property as well as pictures of the accommodations available.

J.D. Shellnut

I am interested also. Could you please post contact information and/or pricing. Also general location. Don't need gps coordinates but south Texas is a big place and distance may be a factor for some of us.
60% of the time it works every time!