turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 06, 2016, 11:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

So here is the deal. I am not so sure that the turkey population on our property is booming. I don't think it is obsolete, as we have heard gobbles and seen some birds. I think it is at a point where one bird per person (current rule) is sufficient. Here is where I am torn. The property owner (father-in-law) says that his wife wants some turkey meat, even if it is a jake. I have been given the ok to shoot a second bird in order to get her some turkey meat, again, even if it is a jake. I am torn. He is the land owner/my father-in-law, so I feel like I shouldn't even give it a second thought. However, I do not want to mess up the turkey population. My first thought was to try and shoot a second gobbler, but I still feel like it is diminishing the population.

Should I jump at this opportunity to shoot a bird, even if it is a jake, or should I just somehow "not get it done"?

What would you do?

SteelerFan

Me? I'd give my 1st bird to the landowner, if i was concerned about denting the population. Make them happy.

Greg Massey

Agree give them the first bird, go to the store and get yourself a turkey if you have to..so you will have a place to hunt..

deerbasshunter3

Why didn't I think of that!!!??? Brilliant. Thanks, guys.

tomstopper

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 06, 2016, 12:14:50 PM
Agree give them the first bird, go to the store and get yourself a turkey if you have to..so you will have a place to hunt..
That would work.....

Marc

My first bird always goes to the land owner if they want it...  If I am lucky enough to get more than one, so does the second or third (especially if they are killed on different properties).

This year, none of the land owners would care for a bird, but in the past such offers have opened other doors for me.

And, father-in-law or not, write a thank you letter at the end of the season for the opportunity to hunt.  Such a letter goes a long ways, and means more than you know to most property owners...  Many times one-time only permission turns into extended permission (and possibly allows me to hunt other types of game).  I have actually had land owners ask neighbors on my behalf after writing such a letter.  Often I include a gift card for something they might enjoy as well (and I always offer them a free eye exam at my office).

Leave the property cleaner than when you arrived, and close all gates that were closed.  Pick up any empty casings (even if they are not yours), and pick up any trash you see (just make sure it is trash).

If you are worried about the population, look for some other areas to hunt if time allows.  There will likely come a year when the turkey population is not great on that property, and it is nice to have other places in the bank.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

I am not getting him a card, but I did get him a bottle of JD Master Distiller Series #3.

g8rvet

Quote from: Marc on April 06, 2016, 03:03:34 PM
My first bird always goes to the land owner if they want it...  If I am lucky enough to get more than one, so does the second or third (especially if they are killed on different properties).

This year, none of the land owners would care for a bird, but in the past such offers have opened other doors for me.

And, father-in-law or not, write a thank you letter at the end of the season for the opportunity to hunt.  Such a letter goes a long ways, and means more than you know to most property owners...  Many times one-time only permission turns into extended permission (and possibly allows me to hunt other types of game).  I have actually had land owners ask neighbors on my behalf after writing such a letter.  Often I include a gift card for something they might enjoy as well (and I always offer them a free eye exam at my office).

Leave the property cleaner than when you arrived, and close all gates that were closed.  Pick up any empty casings (even if they are not yours), and pick up any trash you see (just make sure it is trash).

If you are worried about the population, look for some other areas to hunt if time allows.  There will likely come a year when the turkey population is not great on that property, and it is nice to have other places in the bank.
And if hunting cattle or ranch land - if the gate was closed when you got there, close it behind you. If it was open, leave it open. 

You give good advice and has opened a lot of doors for us in Snow Goose country.  Just need my Optometrist buddy I hunt with to bring his stuff for free Eye Exams!   I have done some light surgery and done several exams on pets. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hooksfan

Well here's another viewpoint and you take it for what it is worth.  There are no guarantees as far as population and, in my experience, there is no such thing as stockpiling turkeys.  I commend you for your concern about the population, but taking two birds off a property by hunting is going to have such a minimal impact on your turkey flock that you may as well take that second bird, IMO.
The number of turkeys you will have on your place next year will depend on the success of the hatch.  If you have a good hatch, you will be fine.  If you have an absolutely catastrophic hatch, there are no guarantees, considering natural turkey mortality , that the bird you "saved" last year will even still be there.  IMO, it all boils down to whether you want buzzards, coyotes, bobcats, etc to enjoy that meal or your father in law.

kyturkeyhunter4

Agreed with the other guys that posted, Just give the bird to the owner.

Marc

Quote from: g8rvet on April 07, 2016, 08:53:43 PM

And if hunting cattle or ranch land - if the gate was closed when you got there, close it behind you. If it was open, leave it open. 

Good advice about the gates, but not always true...

Many times, I have come across open gates that were supposed to be closed.  If I can speak to the rancher before hunting, I always ask which gates should be left open or closed...  Many times I have come across open gates that should have been closed, and guess who would be blamed if the cattle got into an area they should not be?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I was a large animal vet and knew my farms real well.  It is usually pretty obvious (field full of cows, open lane to the road, close the dang gate).  I am talking more about cross fences.  I have seen people close cattle off from water thinking they were doing the right thing.  Plus it will earn major points if you let the owner know if there is cow off by herself, or down when the others are grazing.  Or a single cow in a field.  Things like that help a lot.  And your point is a good one- if you don't know - ask. 

I came up to a farm call one day and saw the cow calving right by the road. So I jumped out, hopped the fence and pulled the calf before I went to the managers office.  I was so excited to have a good laugh when he told me where she was and I would tell him "I already pulled that calf".  Joke was on me.  That was not the cow he had called me about!  Oh well, he got a 2 for 1 on calf pulls that day. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

fallhnt

Quote from: Hooksfan on April 08, 2016, 02:59:37 PM
Well here's another viewpoint and you take it for what it is worth.  There are no guarantees as far as population and, in my experience, there is no such thing as stockpiling turkeys.  I commend you for your concern about the population, but taking two birds off a property by hunting is going to have such a minimal impact on your turkey flock that you may as well take that second bird, IMO.
The number of turkeys you will have on your place next year will depend on the success of the hatch.  If you have a good hatch, you will be fine.  If you have an absolutely catastrophic hatch, there are no guarantees, considering natural turkey mortality , that the bird you "saved" last year will even still be there.  IMO, it all boils down to whether you want buzzards, coyotes, bobcats, etc to enjoy that meal or your father in law.
x2
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy