OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossy 835 28in ulti mag need help!!!!!!

Started by TeamFras835, April 06, 2016, 08:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeamFras835

Having trouble with patterning 3 in heavy shot magnum blends, can anyone tell me the best choke for the 28in ulti mag barrel?

Happy

Usually something in the .675 range. There are many different brands but that is a good base to start out at.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

What choke are you running now, search the sight for deep cleaning and polishing your barrel!  The 835 I had shot great with there ulti full tube, not the greatest numbers but even killing patterns to 40, that choke I believe is a .690.

TeamFras835

I've deep cleaned and polished the barrel, I've shot the heavy shot. 676 and the true glow and also the undertaker ,I want to stay with heavy shot magnum blend because I have like 10 boxes and would like to use them up.

DirtNap647

I shot that setup with a Indian Creek 675

rpinks

I shot the same set up well with Indian Creek 675. Barrel needs to be extra tight. So POI and pattern doesn't move.
Thanks, RP

bbcoach

What kind of numbers are you getting?  Have you checked your POA/POI?  Are you shooting at a big piece of paper (30x30) or bigger?

TeamFras835

At 40yds I've had 86 hits with the tru glow! That was my best. But I know the Ole mossy can do better.

Dtrkyman

Quote from: TeamFras835 on April 06, 2016, 07:12:30 PM
At 40yds I've had 86 hits with the tru glow! That was my best. But I know the Ole mossy can do better.

Man that is low, are you shooting a large sheet of paper and making sure you are seeing the best part of the pattern?

BowBendr

Yep, something is wrong. You're not capturing the whole pattern on a large sheet of cardboard or you drew the 10" circle before you shot. Sounds like the poa/poi isn't matching up.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

TeamFras835

Yea it's a 4×4 sheet of cardboard with a 20×20 target with a 10 in circle.

PEHunter

Was the 86 the densest area of your pattern?  At this point it doesn't matter where it is in relation to your point of aim. You move the point of impact to the point of aim later. You just need to find the densest area of the pattern at this point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

chatterbox

Quote from: TeamFras835 on April 07, 2016, 07:48:37 AM
Yea it's a 4×4 sheet of cardboard with a 20×20 target with a 10 in circle.
This is where the problem lies. I would just shoot at a 3'X3' piece of paper with one of those 3" Orange stickers. Then once you shoot, draw a 10" circle around the densest part of your pattern. Put an orange don't t in the middle of the pattern. Go back to the rest, making sure the gun doesn't move, and put your sight on the original 3" dot.
Then, without the gun moving, move your dot to the second orange sticker in the middle of your pattern.
Put up a new piece of 3'X3' paper with an orange sticker, and shoot again. You should be very, very close to dead center.
Good luck!

TeamFras835

Yea the 86 hits was the tightest spot on the pattern.

TeamFras835

Now I shot a 3.5in Winchester Longbeards xr #5 shot. It shot 209 hits. With the tru glow choke.